Funfetti Sugar Cookies🌟 (Grain-Free + Dairy-Free)
The “All Things Funfetti” craze is clearly upon us and I am one of it’s greatest victims. I can’t help myself, it makes everything look like a rainbow! 🌈 And sugar is always involved, which makes it even harder to resist. It’s also one of our most requested treats, so they are ever in our kitchen in some form or another. I must say though, that I particularly adore this sugar cookie version. It’s a wonderful thing to sink your teeth into a soft, chewy frosting covered cookie and see cheery rainbow colors looking back at you.
And these are a great alternative to cake for a birthday celebration, you can have them baked + decorated in under an hour!
We have some helpful tips and recommendations for you today:
-Roll out your cookies in between two sheets of parchment paper. (The dough is a bit sticky + this will prevent it from sticking to your rolling pin).
-Let your cookies cool on the cookie sheet for 10 full minutes before transferring to cooling rack or plate.
–Wholesome! brand powdered sugar is grain-free.
-Make sure to use “Jimmies” instead of round sprinkles. (The color in the round sprinkles will bleed into the dough).
–ColorKitchen has gluten-free, dye-free rainbow jimmies. The dye-free variety is a little less brilliant in color— if you don’t mind a little bit of food dye, Wilton’s brand is grain-free. Gourmand Specialties is also grain-free and has a wider color spectrum!
-Last but not least, remember to let your cookies cool completely before decorating.
Happy Baking + Enjoy The Recipe!😊
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 3/4 cup potato starch
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup vegan butter (Earth Balance)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons rainbow jimmies (link to grain-free brand mentioned in post above).
- FOR THE FROSTING:
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar (Wholesome! brand is grain-free)
- 1/3 cup room temperature vegan butter (Earth Balance)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (clear for lighter color)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons almond milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk together almond flour, potato starch, sugar and salt.
- Add melted butter, egg, vanilla and combine until dough has formed. Dough will be a bit sticky. Add in rainbow jimmies and work through the dough evenly.
- Roll out dough in between two pieces of parchment paper. (This will keep the dough from sticking to the rolling pin). Cut cookies out of dough. Carefully peel and lift them by hand or spatula dusted in potato starch and transfer onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes. Cookies will still be a bit soft. Remove from oven and allow cookies to cool on the cookie sheet for 10 full minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack or plate.
- While your cookies are cooling, mix together your frosting. With a hand mixer, cream vegan butter. Slowly add in sifted powdered sugar and salt. Finally, add in vanilla extract and almond milk. Blend until smooth. (Add a touch of almond milk if icing is too thick or a bit more powdered sugar if you prefer it thicker.
- Pipe or spread frosting onto cookies, top with sprinkles, serve and enjoy! Any leftovers can be stored in an airtight container to keep cookies soft and fresh.
Keywords: grainfree, glutenfree, dairyfree, funfetti, cookies, sugarcookies, birthday