*Read through ingredients and instructions ahead of time for stress-free baking.
- 1 + 1/4 cups almond flour
- 1 cup tapioca starch (seems like a lot, but works beautifully here)
- 1/2 teaspoon guar gum
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup + 1 teaspoon milk of choice (for vegan, use plain soy, coconut or almond milk).
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh, chopped rosemary for the dough and another 2 teaspoons to sprinkle on top. (You can use dried if you can’t find it fresh)
- 12 grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives, halved (optional)
- additional olive oil to brush the dough and for dipping + balsamic vinegar if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Place a piece of parchment paper onto a baking sheet and brush the parchment paper with 1 tablespoon of oil. (Your dough will bake on top of the oil).
- In a large bowl, sift then whisk together the almond flour, tapioca starch, 2 teaspoons of the rosemary, guar gum, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. (Don’t forget to add your guar gum).
- Create a little well in the middle of your flour and add milk, olive oil and apple cider vinegar. Start mixing the liquid into the flour by hand, it will be loose at first but will gradually start to thicken a bit as you combine it together–it will be very sticky at this point. Scrape excess dough from hands and let the dough sit for 3-5 minutes to further thicken. Wash hands.
- Return to your dough and form it into a loose ball. Pour one tablespoon of olive oil over the dough and lightly roll it around until it is all covered. Place the oiled dough in the middle of your prepared parchment lined baking sheet. Start to flatten it into a squarish shape, it will be about twice the thickness of pizza crust, maybe a touch more, depending on your preference.
- Create dimples in the dough by pressing your fingers into it. Brush with olive oil (yes, again with the olive oil, this bread will soak it all up in the oven- so good!) Then place your halved grape tomatoes and olives into some of the divots you created with your fingers–as many as you like. Sprinkle the remaining rosemary over top and sprinkle liberally with coarse sea salt as well. (table salt is fine too).
- This bread will bake for a total of 30 minutes–the first 15 minutes at 350 degrees and the next 15 minutes at 400 degrees. Check in at the last 5 minutes, if your bread is thinner, it will cook more quickly. Remove from the oven, let it cool 8 minutes and then cut and serve! Garnish with additional rosemary if desired. Serve with a dish of olive oil for dipping (balsamic too, if you like). Store leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate. Reheat in oven until warm and crusty, enjoy!
- Category: Grain-Free + Vegan
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Bread
Keywords: focaccia, flatbread, rosemary, olive oil, grain-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, appetizer, finger food, kalamata olives