This Low-Carb Lemon Meringue Pie is the stuff dreams are made of! SCD Option included!
Low-Carb Lemon Meringue Pie
Happy Friday Friends! We thought we’d kick off this August weekend with a refreshingly scrumptious citrus treat.
I’ve always loved this pie for it’s intense lemon flavor and for the cloud-like beauty the meringue gives. A gorgeous, golden edged poof that floats atop the pie–it’s as delicious as it is lovely!
And it’s a fantastic dessert to serve after a hearty meal. It’s low in carbs, Paleo and Grainless- so as yummy as it is, it won’t weigh you down. Plus there is an SCD option below, it can easily be sweetened with honey instead of Swerve!
So I won’t mince words here, this delectable tart is in the medium difficulty range–nothing at all to be afraid of, but I do encourage patience while putting it together. If you read through the ingredient list and instructions first, things will go smoothly as you’ll know what to expect.
Prepping also does wonders- get out your pie tin, pastry cutter, 2 mixing bowls and whisk. And make sure to follow the directions below just as written to keep the filling nice and firm. You can absolutely make this the day of- we make ours around noon and that gives us enough time to chill it while we get ready for company.
If you love this Low-Carb Lemon Meringue Pie, you might also enjoy our Low-Carb Chocolate Cream Pie!
Happy Baking! Enjoy The Recipe!
2.7 net carbs per slice (low-carb version)
**SCD version uses the same pie crust, but the filling is as follows: 2 +1/4 teaspoons gelatin, 1 cup of water, juice of 2.5 lemons, 2/3 cup of honey and 4 egg yolks. For the meringue: do not use cream of tartar as it is not SCD legal but do blend in a tablespoon of honey for sweetness instead of the Swerve!
For The Crust
- 1.5 cups Almond Flour (Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1.5 teaspoons gelatin (Knox or Now Foods are both fine)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chilled butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup + 1 tsp water
Lemon Filling (SCD version in description just above)
- 3/4 cup Swerve Confectioner Sugar Replacement (not granular)
- 2 + 1/4 teaspoons gelatin
- 1 + 1/4 cups water
- juice of 3 lemons
- 4 egg yolks (just yolks)
- 4 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons Swerve Confectioner Sugar Replacement
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon gelatin
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Start With Your Crust: In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, coconut flour + salt.
- Cut butter into flour with pastry cutter. Add water and work it into the flour until dough forms. Form dough into a ball.
- Press the ball of dough with the palm of your hand into the middle of your pie pan. Work dough up the sides and crimp edges with a fork. You can mend any cracks with a touch of water in the same way you would working with clay.
- Poke some holes in the bottom of the crust with a fork. Brush with egg wash for rich color. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes until golden. Set the pie crust on the counter to cool completely. Or you can place it in the freezer for 20 minutes to cool more quickly.
- Make Your Filling: Sift Swerve into a dry mixing bowl. Add gelatin and whisk together until combined evenly. Pour in your water while whisking vigorously–this way the gelatin is distributed evenly.
- Add your lemon juice and egg yolks. Whisk again until all is incorporated well. Pour your liquid into a saucepan and bring to a low boil over medium heat–stirring frequently. When it comes to a boil, remove from heat. Let it cool down completely–stirring every now and again. (You will strain this liquid later, so don’t worry if it’s not 100% smooth).
- Pour the cooled liquid into your cooled pie crust. Carefully place it into the freezer for 2.5 hours. You want it to be a bit frozen at this point,
- Meringue: First set your oven to broil-you want it fully preheated. Place your egg whites into a mixing bowl. Make sure there is no yolk in your egg whites. Sift the Swerve, cream of tartar and gelatin over top. Whip together with a hand mixer on high until you have stiff peaks.
- Spread whipped egg whites over your chilled lemon filling and place into the oven to broil for just 3 minutes. You want the peaks golden brown. Do not overcook or your lemon filling will become too loose. Use pot holders to pull the pie out of the oven and place the pie right into the freezer for 30 minutes before serving or you can place it in the fridge if you’re not serving it until the evening.
- Slice directly before serving and enjoy! Place any unused portion of the pie in the fridge so it stays firm.
- Category: Low-Carb
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Pie
Keywords: grain-free, gluten-free, keto, low-carb, lemon meringue pie, summer desserts, pastry, dairy-free