- 2 1/2 cups almond flour (Bob’s Red Mill)
- 3/4 cup tapioca starch
- 2/3 cup sugar (1/2 cup if you have less of a sweettooth)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (Hain brand is grain-free)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup milk or plain almond milk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- FOR THE FROSTING:
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate, chopped (or morsels)
- 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar (Wholesome! brand is grain-free)
- 3/4 cup melted butter (or Earth Balance Spread)
- 3 tablespoons room temperature milk (or almond milk)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, potato starch, sugar, baking powder and baking soda.
- Add milk, egg, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, vanilla extract and blend with hand mixer (or beat by hand) until batter is smooth.
- Pour batter into parchment paper lined 8×8 baking dish. (Alternatively, you can make cupcakes or a 2 layer cake). Bake at 350 degrees for about 35 minutes (cupcakes and layer pans 25 minutes). Cake will be firm yet springy when done.
- Remove cake pan from oven and place pan on wire cooling rack. Let the cake or cupcakes cool completely in their baking dish. For the layers, let them cool 15 minute before carefully flipping them over onto cooling rack or plate.
- While cake is cooling, start on your frosting. Melt semisweet chocolate in a microwave safe bowl for 30 second intervals until melted and smooth. Slowly stir melted butter into chocolate until smooth. Then slowly add milk and vanilla, again stirring until smooth. Set aside. In a separate large bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, cocoa powder and salt. Then pour your chocolate mixture over powdered sugar mix and blend with hand mixer on high speed until fluffy and smooth. For a stiffer frosting, add more powdered sugar, for a creamier frosting, add additional milk.
- Frost cake as desired, cut and serve! Store any leftovers in an airtight container. Enjoy!
Keywords: grainfree, glutenfree, dairyfree, yellowcake, chocolatefrosting, birthdaycake