- 2 cups almond flour (Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1 cup tapioca starch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder (Hain brand is grain-free)
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- 1/3 cup apple sauce
- 1/3 cup honey (or maple syrup)
- 1/4 cup melted butter (or Earth Balance Coconut Spread)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- FOR THE FROSTING:
- 2 1/2 ounces Baker’s Chocolate, Unsweetened (10 squares)
- 2/3 cup honey
- 2 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp Soy Free Earth Balance Spread, softened (or Coconut Spread)
- 1/4 cup egg white powder (Hoosier Hill Farms or any plain Egg White Protein powder will do).
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, tapioca starch, baking soda and baking powder.
- Add almond milk, apple sauce, melted butter, vanilla extract and apple cider vinegar to your flour mixture. Combine until batter is smooth.
- Pour batter into parchment paper lined 8×8 baking dish. (Alternatively, you can make cupcakes). Bake at 350 degrees for about 35 minutes (cupcakes 25 minutes). Cake will be firm yet springy when done.
- Remove cake pan from oven and place pan on wire cooling rack. Let the cake or cupcakes cool completely in their baking dish.
- While the cake is cooling, go ahead and start on the frosting. Melt the Baker’s Chocolate pieces in a microwave safe bowl in 30 second intervals until melted and smooth. Then slowly stir honey into your melted chocolate. Mix in vanilla extract, set aside. In a medium/large bowl, sift together egg white powder, cocoa powder and salt.
- Add your softened butter and melted chocolate mixture to your dry ingredients. Using a hand mixer, blend until smooth. Place frosting in the freezer for 15 minutes and the chocolate will harden, setting the icing. Remove from freezer and blend the icing on high speed one last time until fluffy, it will stay firm at this point. (If you desire an even creamier icing, you can blend in 1 tbsp of full fat coconut milk right before frosting your cake).
- Spread frosting over cake, cut and serve! Store any leftovers in an airtight container. (Double the frosting recipe if you prefer a little extra to work with). Enjoy!
Keywords: grainfree, paleo, glutenfree, dairyfree, yellowcake, chocolate, birthdaycake