- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 cup tapioca starch (or potato starch)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp almond milk
- 1/3 cup apple sauce
- 1/3 cup maple syrup (or honey if preferred)
- 1/4 cup melted Earth Balance Spread
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- FOR THE FROSTING:
- 1/2 cup Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips (or chunks)
- 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar (Wholesome! brand is grain-free)
- 3/4 cup melted Earth Balance Spread
- 3 tablespoons room temperature almond milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl whisk together almond flour, tapioca starch, baking soda and baking powder.
- Add almond milk, apple sauce, melted butter, vanilla extract and apple cider vinegar to your flour mixture. Combine until batter is smooth.
- Pour batter into parchment paper lined 8×8 baking dish. (Alternatively, you can make cupcakes). Bake at 350 degrees for about 35 minutes (cupcakes 25 minutes). Cake will be firm yet springy when done.
- Remove cake pan from oven and place pan on wire cooling rack. Let the cake or cupcakes cool completely in their baking dish.
- While cake is cooling, start on your frosting. Melt Enjoy Life chocolate in a microwave safe bowl for 30 second intervals until melted and smooth. Slowly stir almond milk into chocolate, stirring the whole time until smooth. Then add your 3/4 cup melted Earth Balance, blending in a little at a time until smooth. In a large bowl whisk together powdered sugar, cocoa powder and salt. Pour chocolate/butter mixture over powdered sugar mix and start to blend with hand mixer. Then vanilla extract and blend on high speed until fluffy and smooth. For a stiffer frosting, add more powdered sugar, for a creamier frosting, add additional almond milk.
- Frost cake as desired, cut and serve! Store any leftovers in an airtight container. Enjoy!
Keywords: grainfree, vegan, glutenfree, dairyfree, yellowcake, chocolate, birthdaycake