- 10 Egg Whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract (orange or almond extract will work as well)
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar (you can find the honey sweetened version in the “tips” section above).
- 3/4 cup almond flour (Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1/2 cup potato starch (not potato flour)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- In a medium sized bowl, sift together the almond flour and potato starch twice. (Tip-Use a cup to move the flour back and forth in the sifter, it will move through more easily and at a faster rate). Set sifted flour aside.
- In a large bowl, add 10 egg whites (making sure not to allow any yolk into the mix), vanilla and lemon extract. Sift cream of tartar overtop.
- Using a hand mixer on low speed, start to blend together egg white mixture. Gradually increase the speed to high. The egg whites will start to become frothy, doubling and tripling in size. Slowly sift in your sugar at this point while blending. Continue to blend (another 2 minutes or so) until soft peaks form. (Do not over blend).
- Using the sifter again, sift 1/3 of your flour mixture overtop of your egg whites. Fold in very gently with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula. Continue adding in the flour 1/3 at a time until all is incorporated. It is important that you fold very gently to keep the integrity of the egg whites. It’s better that you combine gently and not quite evenly than evenly with too much force and deflated egg whites.
- With a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, gently spoon batter into your UNGREASED Nordic Ware angel food cake or aluminum bundt pan. Place into oven and bake at 325 degrees for 40-45 minutes. (Keep oven door closed with light on during the baking process, peak in at 40 minutes). It will be golden brown with crust (honey sweetened version should appear golden brown with less crust).
- Immediately invert the Nordic Ware pan and let stand on it’s legs until COMPLETELY cooled. (I like to invert the pan onto a wire rack to provide even more ventilation). If you are using a bundt pan, invert and rest the pan on a bottle. (Check ahead of time to find a bottle that fits with the middle of the pan, so that the pan can rest on top without wobbling too much).
- When cake is cooled completely, flip the pan and run a knife around the edges. Cut and serve with fruit and whipped cream (or coconut whipped cream for dairy-free version). Cover and leftovers lightly with saran wrap. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
Keywords: grainfree, glutenfree, dairyfree, angelfoodcake, cake, recipe