New And Improved Recipe With Vegan Option! Check For Changes Below–these are like true Southern Biscuits in Gravy!
FOR THE BISCUITS:
- 1 + 1/4 cups almond flour (Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1 cup + 1 tablespoon tapioca starch (No Substitution)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (Hain brand is grain-free)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chilled butter (or Earth Balance Spread for dairy-free)
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon milk (soy, almond or coconut milk for vegan)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- *2 additional tablespoons butter, melted for brushing over the top.
FOR THE GRAVY:
- 1 cup cooked, drained vegan or regular sausage, chopped. (Save drippings if preferred, see below).
- 3 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or sausage drippings (Earth Balance Spread for dairy-free butter)
- 2 cups milk (or any plain dairy-free sub like soy, almond or coconut) The richer the milk, the richer the gravy.
- 1 tablespoon additional butter
FOR THE BISCUITS:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Take out two sheets of parchment paper (or wax paper) along with a round 3-4 inch cookie cutter, set aside. (It’s ok if you don’t have a cookie cutter, you can shape them by hand.
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, tapioca starch, baking powder and baking soda.
- With a pastry cutter, cut 1/4 cup of butter into flour, leaving no pieces larger than pea size.
- Place the cut out biscuits on the cookie sheet. Repeat until you have 6 biscuits. Brush the tops with melted butter. (You can form the biscuits by hand into whatever shape you desire if you’re without a cookie cutter).
- Bake biscuits at 350 degrees for about 15-20 minutes. Check in at 12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool on rack. You can reheat them in the oven at 375 degrees for a few minutes before adding gravy if necessary.
FOR THE GRAVY:
- First, chop your sausage into small, bite-size pieces and brown in a skillet until cooked through. (Save drippings if you prefer that flavor over butter). Place cooked sausage on paper towels or drain. Set aside.
- In a medium to large bowl, whisk together tapioca starch, salt and pepper.
- Slowly whisk in your milk until combined evenly. Pour melted butter (or drippings) over top and combine again.
- Pour milk mixture into a large pan. (The pan needs to be large, as the whisking can cause splatter in a smaller pan). Cook on medium heat, whisking the entire time so the tapioca does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- At about 3 minutes in, the liquid will start to thicken, continue to whisk vigorously. You will notice that soon the liquid will start to thicken more quickly. As soon as it hits the thickness you desire, take it off the heat.
- Add in your pat of butter and stir the gravy while it melts. If the gravy has thickened past the point you like, whisk in one or two tablespoons of milk until you have the consistency you desire. (If for any reason you want to thicken the gravy, add 1 tbsp of tapioca starch to a small dish and whisk in 2 tbsp milk. Add this mixture into the gravy and heat until gravy thickens).
- Add a touch more salt and pepper to taste. Finally, add in your sausage.
- Cut biscuits lengthwise in half and spread with sausage gravy. Enjoy!
Keywords: grainfree, glutenfree, dairyfree, biscuitsandgravy, biscuits, breakfast