- **You can use grain-free Lentil Macaroni if you’d rather not make homemade pasta.
- Homemade Grain-Free Pasta
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup potato starch (not potato flour)
- 1 cup potato flakes (Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1/4 cup parmesan
- 3 teaspoons guar gum
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup + 1 tbsp warm water
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- CHEESE SAUCE:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons potato starch (not potato flour)
- 1 3/4 cups milk (preferably not skim)
- 2 cups sharp cheddar or white cheddar (extra for topping)
- 1/4 cup parmesan, shredded
- salt to taste
- FOR THE CHEESE SAUCE: In a medium sized pot, melt 2 tbsp of butter at medium heat. After butter is melted, whisk in the 2 tbsp of potato starch, allowing it to cook for 1 minute.
- Add in your milk, about 1/2 a cup at a time. The mixture will thicken very quickly, so whisk vigorously. After you have incorporated the milk, allow mixture to boil for a minute or two. Then stir in cheddar and parmesan cheeses until smooth. Add salt to taste. Remove from heat and set aside.
- PASTA: In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, potato starch, potato flakes, parmesan, guar gum and salt. Add warm water, olive oil and egg yolk into the dry mix. Combine together with a large fork then continue to work through by hand until smooth dough forms. (Dough will be smooth but sticky). Rinse hands and let dough sit for a few minutes.
- Then form your dough into a ball and place onto a large sheet of parchment paper. (Put a large pot of water on to boil at this point).
- To create the pasta shells, use the photos above as a guide. You will take a small pinch of your dough, roll it into a ball in the center of your hand and press the middle of the ball with your index finger while cupping your hand. Cupping your hand at the same time will curl the edges forward, creating a shell. Place formed shells onto parchment paper.
- It will take about 20 minutes to press out all of the shells, enlisting a helper makes the process speedier and more fun. Once all of your shells are made, preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Then carefully pour pasta shells into a pot of boiling water. They will rise to the top after 1 minute. Allow them to continue to boil for 2 more minutes. Then pour them into a strainer and drain. (Do not allow them to sit for more than a few minutes or they will start to stick together. If this happens, just rinse with cool water and they will separate).
- Quickly reheat your cheese sauce and pour drained shells into sauce and combine. Pour shells and cheese into 4 ramekins, soufflé dish or small casserole dish. Add shredded cheese overtop and grain-free bread crumbs (info in tips above) and bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes or until the edges have browned.
- Let cool a few minutes before serving and enjoy!
Keywords: grainfree, glutenfree, pasta, macandcheese, macaroni, cheese, dinner