- FOR THE CAKE:
- 4 1/2 cups almond flour
- 2 1/4 cups potato starch (not potato flour)
- 3/4 cup + 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (grain-free, we use Hain brand).
- 1/8 teaspoon agar powder (we use Now Foods brand) or guar gum
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup melted vegan butter (Earth Balance)
- 3 tablespoons vanilla extract (clear for lighter color)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup rainbow sprinkles (“Jimmies”) ColorKitchen GF brand
- FOR THE FROSTING:
- 8 cups sifted powdered sugar (grain-free, we use Wholesome! brand).
- 2 cups room temperature vegan butter (Earth Balance Soy-Free).
- 3 tablespoons almond milk
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Whisk together almond flour, potato starch, sugar, baking powder and agar until combined evenly.
- Add almond milk, applesauce, melted butter, vanilla extract and mix thoroughly. (Batter will be thick). Sprinkle baking soda over the batter and pour the apple cider vinegar overtop, allowing fizzy reaction to occur. Then incorporate into batter well. Add in sprinkles and mix again.
- Pour batter into greased 8×8 cake pans and place into oven at 350 degrees. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until mostly firm and golden. There will be just a touch of softness when pressing on the top.
- Remove cake pans from oven and place onto cooling rack for ten minutes. Then run a knife around the edges and carefully flip over onto cooling rack. Do not move cake layers until they are COMPLETELY cooled.
- While your layers are cooling, prepare the frosting. (Freezing the layers can actually make the frosting go on more smoothly. Then, as the cake defrosts under the frosting, it will be even more moist and delicious when you cut into it!)
- Cream room temperature vegan butter with hand mixer, blend in vanilla and almond milk. Slowly add in sifted powdered sugar and salt until all is combined and fluffy. Add coloring and place in piping bags if desired.
- Carefully place one layer on the cake stand. (Make sure the tops of your cake layers are even–if not, use a serrated knife to slice a very thin layer off the top). Pipe frosting onto layer and spread, then carefully stack your next layer, and repeat.
- Continue until the final layer is stacked and frost the top and sides, add embellishments and rainbow sprinkles.
- Slice cake, serve and enjoy!!
- Prep Time: 1 hr (including decorating)
- Cook Time: 25 min
Keywords: grainfree, vegan, funfetticake, unicorncake, birthday, glutenfree, dairyfree