- FOR THE CRUST:
- 3 cups almond flour (Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1 1/2 cups potato starch (not potato flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick plus 1 tbsp chilled butter, cubed
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup cold water
- FOR THE FILLING:
- 1 cup shrimp (peeled and cleaned)
- 1 cup scallops, quartered (cleaned, remove side muscle)
- 3/4 cup crabmeat (shelled)
- 1/3 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup potato starch (not potato flour)
- 1 1/4 cups milk (2% preferable, but skim will do).
- 1 cup clam juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning (Make sure to include this! Adds amazing flavor).
- 10 ounces bag frozen peas and carrots
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon sherry (to add in at the end) *optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Clean and drain seafood, set aside.
- FOR THE CRUST: In a large bowl, Whisk together almond flour, potato starch and salt. Cut butter into flour using pastry cutter or fork.
- Create a well in the center of the mix and add the two eggs and 1/4 cup of the cold water and start to work into the dough. I prefer to use my hands, but you can use a food processor if desired.
- Slowly add the remaining water until dough has formed. It will be stickier and more pliable than traditional dough–similar to play-doh. Form dough into a disc. Cut in half and create three equal ball shapes out of the first half. Set other half aside for now.
- Press a ball of dough into one of the mini pie pans and work dough up the sides and around the edges as seen in photo above. You may find it easier to work with the dough if you dip your fingers into water first. I keep a small cup by my working station. Continue with the two other pans. Set prepared pie crust(s) aside. (Alternatively, you may use one soufflé dish to make one large pot pie).
- In a 2 quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat, add and lightly sauté onions. Using a whisk, stir in potato starch and blend well.
- Working quickly, add in milk and clam juice while whisking (mixture will thicken rapidly) and heat to a boil. Mixture will seem very thick, but will thin out a bit in the oven. Stir in Old Bay Seasoning, salt and pepper. Then add in your raw shrimp + scallops. (no precooking necessary as they will cook in the oven to just the right texture). Finally, mix in crabmeat, peas and carrots. Set aside.
- Roll out the remaining dough in between two pieces of parchment paper. (And not too thin, you want a little thickness for the top layer, it will be easier to work with). Peel off top layer of parchment paper. Swiftly and carefully turn rolled dough onto pie(s). Peel back the paper and trim excess. It’s ok if there are cracks, they can be fixed by dipping your fingers into water and mending.
- Make a few vent holes and apply an egg wash if desired. Carefully place into oven at 350 degrees for about 45-50 minutes or until golden brown and filling is bubbling.
- Let pie cool for 15 minutes before serving, it will be piping hot. The filling will also thicken a bit during this process. Once you cut into your pot pie, stir in a tbsp of sherry if desired, so delicious! Serve and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 45 min
- Cook Time: 40-50 min
Keywords: grainfree, glutenfree, potpie, seafood, dinner