- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 3/4 cup potato starch (not potato flour)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon guar gum (I use Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons softened vegan butter spread (I use soy-free Earth Balance)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 16 ounces powdered sugar (grain free, I use “Wholesome!”)
- 1/4 cup organic vegetable shortening (I use Spectrum)
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Whisk dry ingredients. Create a well in the center of the mix. Add egg, *butter and vanilla into well. Using your hands, bring dry mix into wet ingredients and work through until you have created a ball of dough. Dough will be sticky. Wash hands, let dough sit for 5 minutes.
- Roll out dough in between two pieces of parchment paper. This will ensure that dough does not stick to rolling pin.
- Cut out desired shapes then peel and gently lift and place onto parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 18 minutes. Cookies should be slightly soft in the middle. Let the cookies cool for 10 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack or plate. This initial cooling time is crucial as they are continuing to set.
- Apply icing after cookies are completely cooled.
- ICING: Whisk salt into powdered sugar. Add almond milk, vanilla and shortening (or butter substitute). Blend with hand mixer (or stand mixer) until smooth. Add liquid incrementally if thinner frosting is desired. Pipe or spread icing onto cooled cookies.
Keywords: grainfree, glutenfree, dairyfree, sugarcookies, frosting, valentinesday, gift, baking, recipe