- 1 1/2 cups almond flour (Bob’s Red Mill)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 ounces Baker’s Chocolate, Unsweetened (6 squares) (Or paleo chocolate, we like Hu Kitchen brand)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (full fat).
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- FOR THE FROSTING:
- 2 1/2 ounces Baker’s Chocolate, Unsweetened (10 squares)
- 2/3 cup honey
- 2 1/2 tablespoons vanilla
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp ghee, melted
- 1/4 cup egg white powder (Hoosier Hill Farms or any plain Egg White Protein powder will do).
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, cocoa powder + baking soda.
- In a separate, microwave safe bowl, microwave 6 squares of Baker’s Chocolate in 30 second intervals, stirring in between. When the chocolate is thoroughly melted, slowly pour in the honey, stirring it into the melted chocolate until combined well.
- Then with a whisk, slowly blend in vanilla and coconut milk until smooth.
- Pour your chocolate mixture over your dry mix and combine thoroughly. Add in your egg and the additional egg yolk and finally the apple cider vinegar and blend again.
- Grease or line your two 6 inch cake pans with parchment paper. For a double layer cake, fill two mini cake pans 1/2 way full. For a three layer cake, fill three mini cake pans 1/3 of the way full each. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Check in at 15 minutes (every oven varies slightly). Do not overcook. Layers will be springy to the touch and just a bit soft. Let them cool for 5-10 minutes and then flip them over onto cooling rack to cool completely.
- FOR THE FROSTING:
- While the layers are cooling, go ahead and start on the frosting.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the 10 chocolate pieces reserved for the frosting in 30 second intervals (in microwave). When the chocolate is melted, slowly stir in your melted ghee. Then stir in the honey until smooth. Add in vanilla extract, set bowl aside.
- In a separate large bowl, sift then whisk together your egg white powder, cocoa powder and salt.
- Add your chocolate mix into your dry mix and blend until smooth. Icing will be loose at first. Place frosting in the freezer for 15-20 minutes–the ghee will firm, and the chocolate will harden, setting the icing. Remove from freezer and blend the icing on high speed one last time until fluffy. Spread on cake or cookies as desired.
- Trim the top of each layer with a serrated knife to level them out for even stacking. Pipe frosting onto layers and add flourishes as desired. *You can double the frosting recipe if you like to pipe in extra embellishments. Store cake in airtight container. Enjoy!!
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
Keywords: grainfree, glutenfree, dairyfree, paleo, chocolatecake, cake, dessert