- THE CRUST: (See Tips section in post above for Paleo version)
- 1 3/4 cups Almond Flour (Bob’s Red Mill) or hazelnut flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 tablespoons Butter (or ghee)
- 1 Egg + 1 yolk
- 2 tablespoons Honey
- THE FILLING:
- 1 3/4 cups Pumpkin (Trader Joe’s is BPA-free + additive-free. Or you can use cooked pumpkin that is very well drained-see Tips in post above for fresh pumpkin cooking recommendations).
- 4 Eggs (If jumbo size, just 3 eggs)
- 1/2 cup Honey
- 1/3 cup Coconut Milk (full fat, no additives). Trader Joe’s is BPA-free + additive-free.
- 1 tablespoon Pumpkin Pie Spice (or equal measures of ground cinnamon, clove and ginger).
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract (no additives).
- 1 teaspoon gelatin
- Coconut Whipped Topping:
- The solid cream from two cans of chilled coconut milk (view instructions for details)
- 1/2 teaspoon gelatin
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- drizzle of honey
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Start with your crust. In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, coconut flour + salt.
- Cut butter into flour.
- Add egg and honey. Work into flour until dough forms. Dough will be sticky.
- Press the ball of dough with the palm of your hand into the middle of the pie tin. Work dough up the sides and flute edges if desired. You can mend any cracks with a touch of water.
- In a large, separate bowl, add pumpkin, eggs, honey, coconut milk, vanilla and pumpkin pie spice. Blend until smooth. Sprinkle 1 tsp gelatin over top, blend again until smooth.
- Place pie shell onto cookie sheet. Pour filling into shell. Wrap the edges of the pie all the way around with aluminum foil to prevent the crust from burning. Place into oven and bake at 350 degrees for approximately 60-65 minutes. Carefully rotate cookie sheet 180 degrees at 30 minutes in. You will know pie is done when filling has a soft set. The film (skin) will not be as pronounced as with traditional pumpkin pie and will look a touch softer. The gelatin will firm it just the right amount during refrigeration.
- Let the pie cool 20 minutes, then chill in refrigerator for 6-8 hours.
- Whip your coconut cream topping together right before serving: Open two cans of chilled coconut milk and remove just the cream on top, being careful not to transfer liquid a long with it. Place the cream in your chilled mixing bowl. Sprinkle 1/4 tsp of gelatin overtop and add a very small drizzle of honey and 1/8th tsp of vanilla extract. Blend for just 10-15 seconds, over blending tends to loosen the cream. Place in piping bag with star tip or spoon a dollop on each pie serving. Serve and enjoy! Cover and refrigerate leftovers.
Keywords: grainfree, glutenfree, paleo, scd, specificcarbohydratediet, pumpkinpie, thanksgiving, dessert, holiday