- 3 cups water
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar or honey (hint of stevia for low-carb)
- 1 tablespoon pickling spice (see instructions below for alternatives)
- 2 red onions, sliced
- Place white vinegar and water into a sauce pan over high heat.
- Add salt and sugar (or honey) and bring to a full boil.
- Remove from heat and allow liquid to cool completely (about 30-40 minutes)
- Place 1 tablespoon pickling spice and sliced red onions in a glass container with a rubber gasket lid (I recommend Weck jelly jars). If you can’t find pickling spice at your local store, you can mix your own with dried mustard seeds, mixed peppercorns, whole coriander and dried chili flakes.
- Once liquid has cooled completely, pour into jar so that the onions are completely submerged. Attach lid and place jar in refrigerator overnight and keep refrigerated.
Keywords: grain-free, gluten-free, pickling spice, pickled onions, garnishes, martini, guacamole, fajitas, paleo, vegan