- 2.5 cups almond flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons prune juice (or molasses for traditional version)
- 3 tablespoons applesauce
- 2 tablespoons almond milk (or coconut milk)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
For The Frosting: (Double frosting recipe for tall piped look pictured here).
- 7.5 ounces Farmer Cheese (1 packageDry Curd Cottage Cheese). We use Friendship brand, you can also use homemade SCD cream cheese.
- zest of 1 lemon
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2.5 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, spices and baking soda. Then add your eggs, honey, olive oil, molasses (or prune juice), applesauce, almond milk, apple cider vinegar and vanilla extract. Blend until smooth.
- Pour your batter into cupcake liners a little over 1/2 way full. Yields 12. Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes. Let your cupcakes cool completely before removing from cupcake tin.
- While your cupcakes are cooling, mix together your frosting. In a food processor (or blender), cream together your softened butter and Farmer Cheese. Add in lemon zest, honey, vanilla extract, lemon juice and blend again. Place frosting in freezer for 10 minutes to firm up. (The butter will cool, which thickens the frosting). Remove your frosting from the freezer and blend again in food processor until smooth. Spread or pipe over cooled cupcakes and enjoy! Store leftovers in an air tight container and refrigerate.
Keywords: grainfree, scd, specific carbohydrate diet, gluten-free, gingerbread, cupcakes, holiday baking, lemon