- 2 tablespoons butter or ghee
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons plain milk of choice (we use half almond, half coconut)
- 1.5 teaspoons gelatin (omit if necessary, just adds a touch more creaminess)
- 7.5 oz package Farmer Cheese (or homemade SCD “cream cheese”)
- 3 cups shredded cheese (we love a blend of sharp white + orange cheddars and parmesan) a touch extra to sprinkle on top of the casserole. You can also use our scd bread crumbs as topping if desired.
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 dash of salt and pepper
- 1 package Tolerant Lentil Macaroni (We like to use 1 1/2 packages to beef it up)
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and sliced (optional, may use broccoli instead))
- 1/4 cup cooked bacon (optional)
- Parsley for garnish (optional)
- Read through instructions + ingredients first, it will make the process much easier. 🙂
- Prep your ingredients: Shred your cheeses and place them into a bowl so they will be ready to go when you need them. Measure your milk and place that into a separate bowl. Also have your bacon bits, cooked chicken and beaten egg ready to go. Place a colander in the sink and a large pot of water on the stove—do not heat that yet.
- In a separate large pot, melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Whisk in your milk. Heat until you have a slow boil. Sprinkle gelatin over top and whisk again. Stir in paprika, salt and pepper. Turn down the heat a bit.
- Lower your brick of Farmer Cheese into the milk with a large spoon, that way the milk won’t splash up and burn you.
- Break up the Farmer Cheese with a whisk and keep stirring until it is integrated into the hot milk evenly.
- Next, add your bowl of shredded cheese, stirring continuously until all is melted and fairly smooth.
- Turn off the heat and let the cheese stand in the pot (you’ll want to stir it periodically). Go ahead and preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Turn your pot of water on to boil. Once it’s boiling, add your lentil macaroni and cook it about 4-5 minutes–you want it to be a touch al dente as it will soften a bit more in the bake. Drain pasta well and let it cool a couple minutes.
- Add your pasta into your cheese sauce and stir until smooth and creamy. Add in your cooked chicken and bacon or lightly cooked and drained broccoli. Stir until evenly combined. Finally, add your beaten egg and incorporate that very well into the mix and then pour the mac + cheese into your casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with cheese and our scd bread crumbs if desired and bake in a preheated oven at 375 for about 20 minutes. Top will be golden and cheese will be a bit bubbly. You can prep this the night before, cover it with saran wrap and bake it at the same temperature for just a bit longer. Serve and enjoy! Store leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate. Reheat in oven.
- Category: SCD
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Pasta
Keywords: specific carbohydrate diet, scd, grain-free, gluten-free, mac + cheese, chicken, bacon, macaroni + cheese, gluten-free pasta