- 2 1/2 cups almond flour (Bob’s Red Mill)
- 3/4 cup tapioca starch
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (Hain brand is grain-free).
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup milk (or almond milk for dairy-free)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons purple food coloring (see Tips section in post above for natural color option)
- 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar (Wholesome! brand is grain-free).
- 3/4 cup butter (Earth Balance Spread for dairy-free)
- 3 tablespoons milk or almond milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- food coloring (options in tips in post above)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, tapioca starch, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda + baking powder.
- Add your egg, oil, milk, vanilla, apple cider vinegar + food coloring. Stir until you have a smooth batter.
- Pour batter into two well greased 8 inch cake pans-batter rises quite a bit. (See tips in post above for square cake, cupcake + 3 layer options.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. At 15 minutes in, cover pans tightly with foil-this will steam the cake and it will be moist, springy and a touch soft to the touch when done. (Make sure to use oven mitts!)
- Let your layers cool in the pan for 30 minutes, then run a knife around the edges. Carefully flip layers onto a cooling rack and let them continue to cool.
- While your layers are cooling, blend your frosting together. Sift the powdered sugar into a large bowl and whisk in salt. Add softened butter, milk, vanilla and blend with hand mixer until smooth. (Add more powdered sugar for a stiffer frosting or a touch more milk to thin it out, depending on your preference).
- Spread frosting on your first layer then place your second overtop and frost the rest of the cake and decorate as desired. Sprinkle + icing tip options in the Tips section in post above. Serve and enjoy! Store in a cake saver or cover with foil. This cake stays pretty moist for a few days with just saran wrap.
Keywords: grainfree, glutenfree, cake, layercake, halloween, birthday, recipe, purple