- 2 2/3 cups almond flour (Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1 cup tapioca starch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed (Earth Balance for Vegan, Ghee for Paleo version)
- 1/3 cup cold water
- (*2 tbsp full fat coconut milk for “egg wash” to be brushed on right before baking)
- FOR THE FILLING:
- 5 cups fresh berries (any berries you prefer, frozen are fine, just defrost first.)
- 1.5 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanila extract
- 1/2 cup sugar (or coconut sugar)
- 3.5 tablespoons potato starch (not potato flour)
- FOR THE FILLING:
- Remove strawberry stems and cut into slices. Place sliced strawberries in a large bowl. Then add in raspberries, blackberries and blueberries.
- Add lemon juice and vanilla extract to berry mixture and toss until evenly combined.
- In a separate, small bowl, whisk together the sugar + potato starch.
- Pour this dry mixture over the berries and toss again. Set aside.
- FOR THE CRUST:
- Whisk together almond flour, potato starch and salt.
- Cut butter into flour using pastry cutter or fork.
- Add cold water and start to work it into the dough. I prefer to use my hands, but you can use a food processor if desired.
- Slowly add the remaining water until dough has formed. It will be stickier and more pliable than traditional dough–similar to play-doh.
- Press half of the dough into the pie pan and work dough up the sides and around the edges. You may find it easier to work with the dough if you dip your fingers into water first. I keep a small cup by my working station. (Alternatively, you can roll the dough in-between two pieces of parchment paper, remove top layer and turn over onto pie pan and make any necessary adjustments.
- Pour berry filling into prepared pan.
- Roll out the remaining half of the dough in between two pieces of parchment paper. (And not too thin, you want a little thickness for the top layer, it will be easier to work with).
- Peel off top layer of parchment paper. Swiftly and carefully turn rolled dough onto pie. Peel back the paper and trim excess. It’s ok if there are cracks, they can be fixed by dipping your fingers into water and mending.
- Make a few vent holes and brush with a bit of coconut milk, this will act like an egg wash. Sprinkle the top with coarse sugar, flute edges and carefully place pie into oven at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes (my oven takes closer to 60 minutes, but start checking in at 30 minutes). I like to place aluminum foil or a pie crust shield around the edges at this point to avoid outer edge burning.
- Let pie cool before serving as the filling will set during the cooling process. Enjoy!!
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 45
Keywords: grainfree, glutenfree, dairyfree, berrypie, pie, summer, berries, pastry, dessert