- 2 cups almond flour (Bob’s Red Mill)
- 2/3 cup tapioca starch (or potato starch)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (Hain brand is grain-free)
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1/2 cup milk or almond milk
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Framboise (optional)
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar (Wholesome! brand is grain-free)
- 3/4 cup butter or Earth Balance spread
- 3 tablespoons milk or almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or framboise
- food coloring (natural options in “tips” section in post above).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, tapioca starch, sugar, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a blender, add milk, raspberries, Framboise and vanilla extract. Pulse until smooth.
- Pour raspberry puree over flour mixture, then add egg, olive oil + apple cider vinegar. Blend together until you have a smooth batter. Add in a few drops of pink food coloring for extra color if desired.
- Pour batter into 4 parchment paper lined 4″ mini cake pans. You can make both mini cakes three layered if preferred, just make sure each layer is more shallow. Or you can use a cupcake tin or a small 8×8 baking dish for a square sheet cake. (You may use two 8″ cake pans, but keep in mind the layers will be shorter).
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes, cakes should be a bit springy to the touch. For the mini cake pans: remove from oven and let them cool for 5-10 minutes before carefully flipping them over onto a wire cooling rack. Continue to cool completely before handling. For the cupcakes and sheet pan: do not remove from pan until completely cooled.
- While you’re waiting for your cakes to cool, blend your icing ingredients together at medium speed. Add extra milk to thin it out, or extra powdered sugar to thicken it up.
- Frost cakes as desired (check out our “tips” section above for additional decorating tips). Serve and store any leftovers in an airtight container. Enjoy!
Keywords: grainfree, dairyfree, glutenfree, valentinesday, cake, raspberry, dessert