*2 versions below–firm or fluffy! Both versions have the same ingredients but have different baking methods. I recommend trying both, we’d love to hear which one is your favorite!
- 1 + 1/4 cups almond flour
- 1 cup tapioca starch
- 1.5 tablespoons sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon guar gum
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup milk + 2.5 tablespoons
- 1 tbsp melted Earth Balance Butter or vegan butter of choice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
For The Cinnamon Filling
- 1/4 cup sugar or coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/8th teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon softened butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a cupcake tin with just 8 cupcake liners. (Or line a pie tin or cake pan with parchment paper for the fluffy version.
- Get out an additional sheet of parchment paper and set it aside for later.
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, tapioca starch, sugar, guar gum and baking soda.
- Add in almond milk, the melted butter, apple cider vinegar and vanilla extract. Combine together with large fork and then work through by hand until dough forms–it will feel a bit loose at first but will start to thicken as it sits. Dough will be sticky, Scrape dough from fingers and wash and dry hands. With dry hands, form the dough into a ball.
- Sprinkle just a dusting of tapioca starch on your parchment paper and very lightly dust the top of your dough as well–I like to put just a little on my hands and pat the top of the dough. Using the palms of your hands, flatten the dough out into a square–not too thick or thin. Let that sit for a bit while you make your filling.
- In a small bowl, whisk together sugar, cinnamon and salt. Spread the 1 tablespoon of softened butter on the surface of your dough and sprinkle the cinnamon sugar over top.
- Now you’re going to want to roll your dough. Lift the parchment paper forward to assist and roll the dough forward slowly, but deliberately until you have come to the end of the dough.
- Cut the log into 8 slices.
- For the firm rolls, place each roll into one of your cupcakes liners. Bake at 350 degrees uncovered for 22-25 minutes until the outer edges start to brown a touch. For the fluffy rolls, place them in a parchment lined cake pan, place them in the middle of the pan, they will expand outward filing the rest of the pan during the bake. Cover completely and tightly with foil. The foil coverage steams them, giving that amazing, soft texture. Bake for 25-30 minutes (covered the entire time).
- Remove from oven and let them cool a FULL 15-20 minutes on the counter before adding your glaze–they firm up a little during those first 15 minutes and are still plenty warm for the glaze to melt nicely.
- While you’re letting them cool, go ahead and mix together your icing glaze: Sift powdered sugar and salt together in a medium sized bowl–add melted butter, milk and vanilla. Stir with a whisk or fork until smooth. Add more milk to thin it out or more powdered sugar to thicken it up. Keep in mind glaze will thin a bit when you apply it to the warm rolls.
- Spread with glaze and serve! Store leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate. Pop them in the microwave for 10 seconds before serving. Enjoy!
- Category: Vegan
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Pastries
Keywords: pastries, gluten-free baking, grain-free, dairy-free, vegan, cinnamon rolls, buns, sticky buns, pinwheels, breakfast