- 1.5 cups almond flour
- 1/3 cup tapioca starch
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup chilled salted butter, cubed (Earth Balance for vegan)
- 1.5 tablespoons almond milk
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips (optional)
- 1/2 cup toasted chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, tapioca starch and sugar.
- Cut butter into flour with a pastry cutter as you would with a pie crust.
- Add almond milk and vanilla to the flour and work the liquid and butter into the flour by hand. It will feel dry at first, then it will turn into a play-doh like dough.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap, chill in freezer for 15-20 minutes.
- Then roll dough in between two pieces of parchment paper–this way it won’t stick to the rolling pin. Don’t roll it too thin. (You can dust the surface with just a touch of tapioca starch)
- Use desired cookie cutter and cut out shapes. Peel away the dough around the cutouts and use an offset spatula or carefully peel the cookies off the paper and transfer them to a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. (If the dough gets too soft and warm at any point, just stick it back in the freezer for a few minutes).
- Place cookies in preheated oven and bake at 350 degrees for about 15-18 minutes. Rotate your cookie sheet 180 degrees at 8 minutes in.
- Take cookies out of oven when they start to turn golden around the edges. They will still be soft to the touch at this point.
- Place cookie sheet on counter top and leave untouched for 8 full minutes. Then use a spatula to carefully transfer cookies to a wire cooling rack-this will crisp them up. Again, be careful not to let them slip off the spatula during transfer as they could break when they’re still warm.
- Dip your cooled cookies in melted chocolate and sprinkle with chopped, toasted nuts if desired–or sprinkles!! Place them in the freezer for 10 minutes for the chocolate to harden. Serve and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 25 min
- Cook Time: 18 min
Keywords: vegan, grainfree, gluten-free, shortbread, cookies, tea cookies, dairy-free