- FOR THE PASTRY: (Vegan + Paleo options in Tips section in post above)
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 3/4 cup potato starch
- 1 teaspoon guar gum (Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter or vegan butter (i.e. Earth Balance)
- 3 1/2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup blueberry jam (naturally sweetened)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons potato starch (or 1 tablespoon tapioca starch)
- ICING: (Paleo version omit icing).
- 2 cups grain-free powdered sugar (Wholesome! brand)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, potato starch, guar gum and salt.
- Cut butter into flour using pastry cutter or fork.
- Create a well in the center of the mix, add the egg and the cold water and work into the dry mix until dough starts to form. It will be stickier and more pliable than traditional dough–similar to play-doh. (I prefer to use my hands, but you can use a food processor if desired).
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour. While you’re waiting, mix your jam with the 1.5 tbsp of potato starch. (This will keep it from becoming runny).
- Dust your chilled dough with potato starch and roll it out in between two pieces of parchment paper. (And not too thin, you want a little thickness, it will be easier to work with).
- Cut out 6 equal rectangles. Spread jam in the center of three of the rectangles allowing 1/4 inch of room from the sides.
- Carefully move plain pastry strips with spatula and place over the strips with jam. Use a fork to crimp the sides. Poke a few holes in the top. Do not move the pastries off of the parchment paper–but rather slide parchment onto a baking tray and bake at 375 degrees for about 15-20 minutes, or until just golden.
- Remove from oven and allow pastries to completely cool. Meanwhile, combine icing ingredients and add natural food coloring if desired.
- Spread cooled pastries with frosting and dust with sprinkles or embellishments of your choice. Store leftovers in an airtight container. Enjoy!
Keywords: grainfree, glutenfree, vegan, paleo, dairyfree, poptarts, pastries, breakfast