Grain-Free + Dairy-Free, Vegan + Paleo Options
I know, Mondays are a super drag– but a few Grain-Free Pop Tarts might take the edge off, right?? These delicious pastries are the result of a happy accident of sorts. We overestimated how much dough was needed for our pot pies and ended up with quite a bit left over–I decided it would be best to wrap it up and save it for a rainy day. But as I was storing it in the fridge, a jar of blueberry preserves caught my eye and the image of freshly baked frosted berry Pop Tarts quickly sparkled it’s way into my brain–unicorn dust and all.✨ Needless to say, dough was immediately rolled out, filled and baked. Never have I been happier with leftover scraps of dough!
This recipe yields 3 large Pop Tarts or 4 medium size—it can easily be doubled if you’re looking to make more. Use your favorite jam and get crazy with the colors and sprinkles—it’s a wonderful recipe to make with the kids. Make sure to let your tarts cool completely before frosting them + store any leftovers in an airtight container.
TIPS FOR TODAY:
-Feel free to use any of our crusts like our vegan crust from our apple pie recipe or our paleo crust from our cherry pie recipe.
-Make sure your dough is chilled before working with it.
-You’ll also want to be sure to roll it out between two pieces of parchment paper.
-For the dairy-free option, use almond milk in the icing and vegan butter (Earth Balance) in the crust.
-Lastly, after you’ve crimped the sides, keep your pastries on the parchment paper. Slide the sheet onto a baking tray and then into the oven. If you must move the pre-cooked pastries, they are easier to work with if they are chilled. Place the tray into the freezer for 10 minutes. Then dust a spatula with potato starch and move pastry to desired location.
Enjoy the recipe + Happy Baking!😄
Make dough and chill in refrigerator. While dough is chilling, mix together the jam and potato starch. Roll out dough and cut into 6 even rectangular strips.
Spread jam in the center of 3 of the strips, allowing 1/4 of space from the outer edges. Place plain strips overtop and crimp sides. Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until golden. Allow to cool completely then spread with frosting and dust with sprinkles.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container. Enjoy!!💜
- FOR THE PASTRY: (Vegan + Paleo options in Tips section in post above)
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 3/4 cup potato starch
- 1 teaspoon guar gum (Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter or vegan butter (i.e. Earth Balance)
- 3 1/2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup blueberry jam (naturally sweetened)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons potato starch (or 1 tablespoon tapioca starch)
- ICING: (Paleo version omit icing).
- 2 cups grain-free powdered sugar (Wholesome! brand)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, potato starch, guar gum and salt.
- Cut butter into flour using pastry cutter or fork.
- Create a well in the center of the mix, add the egg and the cold water and work into the dry mix until dough starts to form. It will be stickier and more pliable than traditional dough–similar to play-doh. (I prefer to use my hands, but you can use a food processor if desired).
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour. While you’re waiting, mix your jam with the 1.5 tbsp of potato starch. (This will keep it from becoming runny).
- Dust your chilled dough with potato starch and roll it out in between two pieces of parchment paper. (And not too thin, you want a little thickness, it will be easier to work with).
- Cut out 6 equal rectangles. Spread jam in the center of three of the rectangles allowing 1/4 inch of room from the sides.
- Carefully move plain pastry strips with spatula and place over the strips with jam. Use a fork to crimp the sides. Poke a few holes in the top. Do not move the pastries off of the parchment paper–but rather slide parchment onto a baking tray and bake at 375 degrees for about 15-20 minutes, or until just golden.
- Remove from oven and allow pastries to completely cool. Meanwhile, combine icing ingredients and add natural food coloring if desired.
- Spread cooled pastries with frosting and dust with sprinkles or embellishments of your choice. Store leftovers in an airtight container. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
Keywords: grainfree, glutenfree, vegan, paleo, dairyfree, poptarts, pastries, breakfast