*Naturally sweetened, grain-free + dairy-free.
Grand Marnier does wonderful things to chocolate. Or maybe it’s the chocolate that does great things to Grand Marnier. Either way, it’s a brilliant pairing!🍊 Orange and chocolate in general are so lovely together— do you remember Terry’s Milk Chocolate Oranges? They would come beautifully wrapped in bright orange foil and were cleverly cut into segments so you could get the full orange eating experience? (Except far more caloric, of course).😋 Well, these cupcakes embody that same rich flavor but with a little bite from the alcohol.
But fear not if you don’t include alcohol in your diet, as orange juice and zest also work beautifully in this recipe. And great news! These are totally dairy-free, grain-free and naturally sweetened with honey! They are also Paleo friendly as there is no starch in the flour mix, just almonds and cocoa. I made these as an alternative to traditional chocolate cupcakes for my husband’s birthday this year and they definitely had a celebratory/extra special feel to them. It is a cupcake full of spirit!😂 (I know, so corny, you’ll forgive me when you take the first bite).
Here are a few ingredient and instructional tips before we head to the recipe…
-We use Hoosier Hill Farms Egg White Powder, but any plain egg white protein powder will do. I know it’s an unusual ingredient, but it makes for such dreamy + fluffy naturally sweetened frosting!
-For this recipe you will need to purchase one 4 ounce boxe of Unsweetened Baker’s Chocolate (as it calls for 4 ounces in total).
-Full fat coconut milk is a must!
-Orange juice works well in place of Grand Marnier if desired-same measurement. Orange extract works in a pinch (1.5 tsp).
Whisk, melt, combine and bake.
Mix your frosting while the cupcakes cool.
Decorate and enjoy!
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup sifted cocoa powder
- zest of 1 orange
- 6 pieces (1.5 oz) Baker’s Unsweetened Chocolate
- 1/3 cup coconut milk (full fat)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier (more for brushing cupcakes)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- FOR THE FROSTING:
- 10 pieces (2.5 oz) Baker’s Unsweetened Chocolate
- 1 cup softened vegan butter (i.e. Earth Balance spread)
- 2/3 cup honey
- 4 tablespoons egg white powder (Hoosier Hill Farms, or any plain egg white protein powder)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, cocoa powder and orange zest.
- In a separate microwave safe bowl, melt just 6 squares (1.5 oz) of Baker’s chocolate in the microwave at 30 second intervals. (Alternatively, you may use a double broiler).
- When chocolate is melted and smooth, stir in honey until combined. Slowly blend in coconut milk, Grand Marnier and vanilla extract.
- Pour chocolate mixture over dry mix and combine thoroughly. Blend in eggs, batter will be thick.
- Sprinkle baking soda over the batter then pour the apple cider vinegar over top, allowing fizzy reaction to occur. Mix into batter evenly.
- Scoop batter into cupcake liners 2/3 of the way full. Bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees. (Rotate pan 180 degrees at about 12 minutes in).
- Remove cupcakes from oven, place cupcake tin on cooling rack. Poke a few holes on the top of each and brush lightly with Grand Marnier. You don’t want to drench them (or maybe you do!) just a small amount.
- FOR THE FROSTING:
- Melt the 10 chocolate pieces (2.5 oz) reserved for the icing in a microwave safe bowl at 30 second intervals, stir until smooth. Stir in 2/3 cup of honey until incorporated evenly and then add in the vanilla extract.
- Using a hand mixer, blend in the vegan butter until smooth. Add egg white powder, cocoa powder, salt and blend again. Icing will be loose at first. Place in freezer for 15 minutes and the chocolate will harden, setting the icing. Blend the icing one last time until fluffy.
- Pipe or spread icing onto cooled cupcakes. Store any leftovers in an airtight container.
- Prep Time: 35 min
- Cook Time: 25
Keywords: grainfree, paleo, dairyfree, glutenfree, chocolate, cake, grandmarnier, party, gift