Grain-Free, Paleo, SCD
Happy Labor Day Weekend, Friends!🌤
Nothing delights the paleo palate like a light + creamy citrus pie! It makes for such a refreshing + delicious end to any summer cookout. And there’s just something special about the marriage of lime and graham cracker crust, it’s wonderful in both fragrance and taste!
And we’re extra excited about this recipe because it is both SCD + Paleo friendly! The whipped topping is made from Trader Joe’s Organic Coconut Milk which has zero additives and is housed in a BPA-free can. And this pie is sweetened with honey and thickened with gelatin and coconut flour.
Tips For Today:
-We used a 9 inch pie pan.
–Knox Unflavored Gelatin or Now Foods Gelatin both work beautifully in this recipe.
-We used Trader Joe’s Organic Coconut Milk. Make sure to get the full fat version.
-Make sure you refrigerate two cans of the coconut milk, this will firm up the cream at the top that you’ll use for the whipped topping.
-Paleo dieters have the option of using stevia in the coconut whipped cream instead of honey and SCD dieters may use saccharine if desired.
Happy Baking + Enjoy The Recipe!😊 We’d love to hear your feedback, leave any questions or comments in our comment section below.Print
- GRAHAM CRUST:
- 2 cups almond flour (Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons melted butter, divided. (Ghee, or coconut oil will also work well).
- 1 tablespoon coconut milk (full fat, Trader Joe’s Organic is additive-free and BPA-free).
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- THE FILLING:
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon gelatin
- zest of 3 limes
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups coconut milk (full fat, Trader Joe’s Organic is additive-free and BPA-free).
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup key lime juice (regular lime juice is fine)
- 3 egg yolks
- COCONUT WHIPPED TOPPING:
- The solid cream from two cans of chilled coconut milk (view instructions for details)
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon gelatin
- a drizzle of honey or tiny pinch of stevia
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Start with your graham crust first. In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, coconut flour, cinnamon and baking soda. Add honey, egg yolk, 1 tbsp melted butter, coconut milk and vanilla extract. Combine until dough forms–dough will be sticky. Form dough into a ball and let it rest for a few minutes.
- Spread dough onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet. You’ll want to spread it fairly thinly into a square or rectangle so it will cook evenly– think of it as a large cookie. Bake it at 350 degrees for about 15-18 minutes. Edges will brown, the middle will still be a bit soft. Place pan on cooling rack and let cool completely, it will firm up somewhat during the cooling process.
- Once the “cookie” is cooled completely, break it up into pieces and transfer them into food processor. Pulse until you have fine crumbs. Add remaining butter, pulse again until evenly combined. Press and spread graham mixture into the pie pan, working it up the sides of the pan as well. Use a fork to poke holes in the bottom of the crust. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes and cool.
- While your crust is cooling, you can make your filling. In a large bowl, whisk together gelatin, coconut flour + salt. Add lime zest, whisk again. Then slowly add in your coconut milk while whisking, followed by honey, lime juice + egg yolks. Blend until evenly combined. (I do this by hand, but hand mixer is fine as well).
- Pour liquid mixture into a medium sized pot and cook on medium heat, stirring continuously until it reaches a boil. Let it boil for about 10-20 seconds then remove from heat. It will not be thick at this stage. Pour liquid filling into pie pan, let cool for ten minutes. Then carefully place into refrigerator to firm and chill overnight. (Cover very loosely with aluminum foil, creating a dome so it does not touch the filling and do leave air vents). For quicker set up, place pie carefully in freezer, it will be set up in 3-4 hours. *(At this point you’ll want to place two cans of coconut milk in the fridge to chill along with a small mixing bowl-this will make your coconut topping more firm).
- Make your coconut whipped topping right before serving the pie. Open the two cans of coconut milk and remove just the cream on top, being careful not to transfer liquid a long with it. Place the cream in your chilled mixing bowl. Sprinkle 1/4 tsp of gelatin overtop and add a very small drizzle of honey and 1/8th tsp of vanilla extract. Blend for just 10-15 seconds, over blending tends to loosen the cream. Place in piping bag with star tip or spoon a dollop on each pie serving. Serve and enjoy! Cover and refrigerate leftovers.
Keywords: grainfree, glutenfree, paleo, scd, specificcarbohydratediet, keylimepie, pie, pastry, recipe