The ingredients in this salad are simple but each one plays a role in creating the perfect, balanced bite. The baby arugula has a peppery flavor with hints of nuts and mustard. The cherries provide sourness and sweetness, the radicchio offers bitterness, and the walnuts add the necessary crunch. The La Tourangelle Roasted Walnut Oil enhances the flavor of the walnuts. Of course it’s fine to substitute olive or grapeseed oil, but I find that the roasted walnut oil adds a depth of flavor whereas the others are more neutral. I’d like to mention too that La Tourangelle has a variety of other delicious oils, including basil, avocado, herbs de provence and many more.
If you’re interested in adding additional protein, I’ve included instructions in the recipe below for roasted chicken breast. It’s also a good swap for the blue cheese, for any of you that are abstaining from dairy. If you’re a chicken lover, you should also check out our delicious Chicken Tostada recipe!
Enjoy the recipe, Happy Salad Making!
Delicious Arugula Salad with SCD, Paleo, Low-Carb + Keto options included below.
For The Salad
- Baby Arugula, pre-washed (1 serving, as much as desired)
- 1/4 head of radicchio
- 1/4 cup of walnuts, halved
- 1/4 cup of crumbled blue cheese (Roquefort for SCD, for Paleo version use chicken- see instructions below)
- small handful of dried cherries (naturally sweetened, fewer for low-carb, none for keto)
For The Dressing
- 1 tablespoon of dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons La Tourangelle Roasted Walnut Oil (or oil of choice)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey (or a tiny hint of stevia for low-carb)
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Place walnuts into a small skillet over medium heat, tossing frequently until they are lightly browned. Be sure to keep an eye on them as they can quickly go from toasted to burnt. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In a small bowl or ramekin, add all of the dressing ingredients together and whisk for thirty seconds until evenly combined.
- With the radicchio, a little goes a long way. Cut in half and remove white core. Cut into wedges and then chop into smaller pieces, pulling the layers apart by hand.
- Place arugula and radicchio into a mixing bowl and pour dressing over top. Using tongs, gently toss greens to coat with dressing throughout.
- Transfer greens to a salad bowl and top with toasted walnuts, dried cherries and crumbled bleu cheese.
- ***Optional–This salad is great on it’s own, but if you want some additional protein you can add roasted chicken breast. For roasted chicken breast, pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Put a large sauté pan or dutch oven over medium high heat and add a liberal amount of grapeseed oil. Season chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper. Sear larger chicken breasts for three minutes on each side. For smaller or thinner chicken breasts, sear for two minutes per side. Transfer chicken breasts into a baking dish and bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes. Cool, cut into strips and add to salad. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 20 min
Keywords: arugula salad, dried cherries, roasted walnuts, keto, low-carb, gluten-free, easy dinner, veggies, blue cheese