Keto + SCD Iced Sugar Cookie Bars
Treat your sweetheart to these delectable, soft + chewy Grain-Free Sugar Cookie Bars! These special Valentine confections have both Keto + SCD versions!
Very few treats in my opinion live up to the simple deliciousness of a soft and buttery vanilla sugar cookie. Combine that cookie with a thick layer of “cream cheese” frosting and they become even more irresistible. Turn them into a batch of thick bars, and well, you’ve got yourself a true winner.
And bars somehow always appear more impressive to the eye than regular cookies, don’t they? Especially if you have a major sweet tooth like us, haha! Yuuuummmmm.
If you’re planning to make these for a special someone, they can definitely be made the “day of”. Thirty five-ish minutes in the oven, a quick cool down in the freezer and finally the addition of the frosting. We just spread a thin layer of icing on top and then piped hearts, but you can alternatively pipe polka dots— it still looks lovely + festive with the red and pink, and is far more simple if you’re short on time. Think dot candy—remember how simple and pretty those were? But this is your canvas, so design your heart out!
If you love cookie bars and cakes, you’ll love our Keto + SCD Peanut Butter Cookie Cake!
Happy Baking + Happy Valentine’s Day!
Keto + SCD Iced Sugar Cookie Bars
- Total Time: 55 min
- Yield: 15 bars 1x
**Both Keto + SCD Versions here below**
**Keto version has 3 net carbs per bar**
Keto Sugar Cookie Bars
- 2 + 1/4 cups almond flour (Bob’s Red Mill)
- 2/3 cup Swerve Confectioners Sugar Replacement
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 2.5 teaspoons guar gum
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 stick softened butter (or 1/2 cup Earth Balance for Dairy-Free)
- 1 egg (large egg is fine but not jumbo sized)
- 1.5 tablespoons vanilla extract (make sure to use tablespoon, not teaspoon)
Keto Cream Cheese Frosting
SCD Sugar Cookie Bars
- 2 + 1/4 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon gelatin (Knox brand or Now Foods brand both work well)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 5 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 egg (large is fine, but not jumbo sized)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 7.5 ounces Friendship Farmer Cheese (available in most groceries)
- *a touch of beet powder if you wish to color the frosting pink
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl, sift then whisk together almond flour, coconut flour, Swerve Confectioners Sugar Replacement, guar gum and baking soda.
- Add softened butter, egg and vanilla extract. Work wet ingredients into dry ingredients with your hand until a loose, sticky dough starts to form. Let dough sit for 2 minutes, it will thicken a bit.
- Press dough evenly into a parchment paper lined 8×8 baking dish.
- Place dish into a preheated oven and bake at 350 degrees for 38 minutes altogether: the first 20 minutes covered tightly with foil, then remove the foil and rotate baking dish 180 degrees and bake for another 18 minutes. The top will become golden and a touch golden-brown around the edges. The middle will still be soft similar to a batch of brownies. Remove from oven and let stand for ten minutes, then transfer dish to freezer to cool and firm–about 20 minutes. Make sure they are cooled completely before frosting–they will firm up during this cooling process.
- Make your frosting while you’re waiting for your cookie bars to cool.
- Keto Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Use a rubber spatula to stir and smooth the frosting, then spread a thin layer on the top of the cookie square, cut into bars and serve. Store any leftovers in an airtight container to maintain moistness.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, coconut flour, gelatin and baking soda.
- Add softened butter, egg, honey and vanilla extract. Work wet ingredients into dry ingredients with your hand until a loose, sticky dough forms. Let it stand for 3 minutes, it will thicken just a touch.
- Spread your loose dough into a parchment paper lined 8×8 baking pan. You can dip your fingers in water, this will allow you to be able to spread it more easily–and make sure to smooth the surface so it is nice and even.
- Place baking dish in preheated oven and bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes total: make sure to cover it tightly with foil for the first 15 minutes, then remove foil, rotate the pan 180 degrees and continue to bake uncovered for 20 minutes. The top will be golden with a touch of golden brown around the edges. The middle will be fairly soft like a batch of brownies at this point-it will firm up during the cooling process.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes, then transfer to freezer for 15-20 minutes until completely cooled.
- While you’re waiting, go ahead and make your frosting.
- SCD “Cream Cheese” Frosting:
Serve + Enjoy! Store any leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: about 35 min
- Category: SCD, Keto
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Dessert
Keywords: keto, low-carb, grain-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, sugar cookie, blondies, brownies, valentines day, date night
These look so soft and chewy. Love what you did with the hearts … so fun! What a delicious Valentines treat!!
Aww thank you my friend, I’m such a sucker for Valentine’s Day treats–and anything sugar cookie for that matter, ha! 😉
Sugar cookie, cream cheese frosting, say no more! These are on the Valentine’s Day treat menu for sure! They look incredible 😀
I couldn’t agree more, cream cheese frosting with sugar cookies always wins in my book!! Thank you so much, my friend! 😀
These look excellent Catherine! I am looking forward to making them and I soooo love your easy decorations on top which makes them look extra special! xo
You are so kind Kim, thanks so much!! I hope you love them, I’ve been drooling over your Banana Dream Cake Loaf! 😀
One of the best things I’ve had since I started SCD ❤️
Thanks so much for your kind words and review, I’m delighted you’re enjoying the cookie bars! 😀