Coffee cake always catches my eye. I fondly remember supermarket outings with my grandmother many years ago, walking up and down the aisles with her and taking special notice of those square Entenmann’s boxes with the plastic windows. I would lag behind, lingering over the cakes, trying to come up with a good way of asking her to add one to the cart. But desire often took over my verbal skills and the words “ahhh I want that!!” were usually all I could muster. It’s pretty much the same today. 😉
I still find those cakes impressive–particularly the cinnamon filling and topping—it’s a double breakfast dessert really, with that glaze and crumble- it just feels like an extra special treat, doesn’t it? I can’t wait for you to try our low-carb version, it makes for a very happy start to the morning, particularly on a day off when you have nowhere to be. It’s also fun to share a slice with friends if you can part with it -or you might want it all to yourself!
I just have one tip for today and that is not to forget to add your cinnamon crumble!! I forget ALL THE TIME. My brain sometimes vanishes only to return a half hour too late! Does that ever happen to you? Where does it go? 😉 With all that said, we hope you LOVE the coffee cake bread!! Happy Baking!
5.4 net carbs per slice
- 1 cup almond flour (
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 3 tablespoons
- 2.5 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- l/8th teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- 3.5 tablespoons butter, melted (Earth Balance for dairy-free)
- 1 tablespoon whole milk (coconut milk for keto)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2.5 cups almond flour ( )
- 1/2 cup
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk (coconut milk for keto)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1.5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon melted butter (Earth Balance for Dairy-Free)
- 1.5 tablespoons whole milk (coconut milk for keto)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup Swerve Confectioner Sugar Replacement
- 1/8th teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Make your cinnamon crumble first: In a large bowl, whisk together 1 cup almond flour, 1/4 cup coconut flour, 3 tbsp Swerve, the cinnamon and salt. Then pour in your chopped pecans, mix again. Add melted butter, milk and vanilla extract. Work wet ingredients into flour mixture by hand until you form a sandy ball of dough. Wash hands, then cut ball in half. Set aside.
- Now put together your batter: First make sure to line your
- In a large bowl, whisk together your wet ingredients–eggs, milk, apple cider vinegar, olive oil and vanilla extract. Whisk until smooth, but do not over-blend.
- Then sift the 1/2 cup of swerve, baking powder and baking soda over top and mix into batter.
- Immediately pour just half of the batter into the loaf pan.
- With your hands, crumble half of the cinnamon crumble over top of the batter in the pan. Pour the remainder of the batter on top, using a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl to get it all. Do not place the rest of the crumble on top until the end of the bake–those directions are below.
- Place loaf pan into a preheated oven and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. At 30 minutes in, cover with foil. At the 45 minute mark, remove foil and carefully crumble the rest of the cinnamon crumble on top. Place the foil back on and bake for another 10 minutes. Finally, remove foil and let bake 5 more minutes-(this will give the crumble a nice texture).
- Remove bread from oven and let bread cool completely before serving. If you’re in a hurry, let it cool on the counter 10 minutes, then transfer to freezer for 30 minutes.
- While you’re waiting for your bread to cool, put together your little bit of glaze if desired: Add melted butter, milk and vanilla to a medium sized bowl. Sift Swerve Confectioner and salt over top. Mix together with fork or whisk. Add more milk for a loose glaze, more Swerve for a thicker consistency. Spoon or drizzle over top of cooled bread and serve! Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container.
Keywords: grain-free, keto, low carb, breakfast bread, coffee cake, healthy gluten-free, tea bread, no sugar