Happy Spring, Friends! Ahhh, winter has finally passed and spring returns- looking more beautiful than ever!🌤I’m hoping for a true spring this year, aren’t you? Instead of the whole- three weeks then straight to summer situation that so often seems to take place. I love summer and all, but I mean really, let’s give spring a chance! (*We’ve updated this recipe to include a larger time window for baking as ovens can vary just a bit, and don’t forget to use the foil at the 30 min mark, this will give you that beautiful, deliciously moist lemon blueberry loaf of your dreams! Directions below.)
So we thought with the warmer weather approaching, it might be nice to break out a citrusy breakfast bread (iced, of course!) This recipe is adapted from our SCD Blueberry Lemon Muffins from our Cookbook The Art Of Grain-Free Baking. We just made a few adjustments to make it Keto-Friendly. (It is absolutely delicious either way).
This bread is really quite easy to put together, requiring just one bowl for the batter. I do like to make it ahead of time and chill it overnight as the lemon + blueberry flavors just seem to sing after being given the chance to mingle a bit in a lower temperature.
And if you’re not a frosting lover, this breakfast bread is just as scrumptious without it–sometimes I like to ice just half the loaf to alternate the plain and frosted slices depending on my mood. And this really pairs beautifully with a good Earl Grey that’s been steeping a while, it’s so yummy and smells just wonderful all together.
*The only tip we have today is to make sure you cover your bread with foil at the 25-30 minute mark in the oven-it will steam the bread a bit and allow it to finish cooking without over-browning.
Happy Baking + Enjoy The Recipe!!😊Print
- 2.5 cups almond flour (Bob’s Red Mill)
- 2/3 cup Swerve Confectioner Sweetener
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (Hain brand is grain-free)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp milk (or coconut milk)
- 1/4 cup olive oil (or oil of choice)
- 2.5 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/2 of an eight oz container cream cheese, room temperature (Kite Hill for dairy-free)
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened (Earth Balance Spread for dairy-free)
- 1/3 cup Swerve Confectioner Sweetener
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- lemon zest (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, Swerve, baking powder + baking soda. Add lemon zest overtop and whisk together again until evenly combined.
- Add your eggs, milk, olive oil, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, vanilla and blend together with whisk until combined well and batter is smooth. Add blueberries into batter and incorporate evenly.
- Pour batter into a parchment paper lined 1 pound loaf pan. We love this USA pan. Making sure your oven is preheated, bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes. At 30 minutes in, cover completely with aluminum foil-this will steam the bread, allowing it to cook the rest of the way through while staying nice and moist! Keep in mind, oven times can occasionally vary, peek in at 45 minutes, if it is not cooked through, check back in at 55 minutes. And make sure to use oven mitts when securing the foil, that loaf pan will be hot!
- Remove from oven and let COOL COMPLETELY before removing from pan and glazing. (If you’re in a rush, let it cool 10 minutes outside of the oven and then transfer the loaf pan to the freezer for about 25 minutes).
- While you’re waiting for the bread to cool, go ahead and mix together your glaze. With a hand mixer, blend together your cream cheese and butter.
- Add lemon and blend again. Finally, add in Swerve and salt, then blend one last time. Chilling the glaze will thicken it. You can also add more Swerve for a thicker texture or more lemon juice to thin it out.
- Spread glaze over bread and serve. You can also place it in the fridge to chill, it’s excellent served cold.
- Enjoy! Store any leftovers in an airtight container and place in refrigerator.
*These can also be made as muffins, keep in mind baking time will decrease to about 20-25 min. You can gently rotate the muffin tin 180 degrees at about 12 minutes in and just loosely place a piece of foil overtop and continue baking for another 8-12 minutes. Let them cool completely before removing from tin and enjoy!
Keywords: keto, grainfree, glutenfree, dairyfree, blueberry, lemon, bread, breakfast, dessert