So you may have already discovered the genius that is lentil pasta (1 ingredient!!), but my husband and I only recently got our hands on some and we can’t believe how delicious it is!!! For this recipe we used Tolerant Red Lentil Rotini. ($3.69) They also carry a green lentil variety and other pasta shapes, like macaroni and penne. And there is seriously only 1 ingredient–red lentils!! How they make this happen, I don’t know. But it’s organic and both my husband and I do beautifully with it, and we are SUPER DUPER sensitive-so it’s a win in our book!
We initially tried it out just plain without sauce to make sure our sensitive tummies could tolerate it- and once we had the green light, we knew a pasta bake would be the way to go! Something to enjoy the whole week through!🌟
This bake is extra cheesy and hearty with chicken, mushrooms and red onion with sauce. If you’re not a meat eater, sub in zucchini for the chicken–my husband also loves to mix it up with spinach and feta-also so delicious! Keep in mind though that feta is not technically SCD legal, but gorgonzola would work very well in it’s place.
-Lentil pasta tends to take a bit longer to cook through, about 7 to 8+ minutes in boiling water. However, it’s actually a good thing if your pasta is al dente at this point as it will have a chance to soften up a bit in the casserole during the baking process.
-We love using Rao’s Marinara Sauce, it has zero additives and is housed in a glass jar. But if you’d rather make your own SCD sauce, we love using this marinara from our scd chicken parm recipe!
Enjoy The Recipe, Happy Baking!😊Print
- 1 red onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 eight oz package of mushrooms, sliced
- Rao’s Marinara (24 oz) or marinara from our scd chicken parm recipe
- 1 cup cooked chicken, cut into cubes or shredded
- 1 cup shredded parmesan, divided
- 3–4 slices of provolone cheese (optional)
- 1 box of Tolerant Red Lentil Rotini
- fresh parsley for garish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Bring a large pot of water to boil
- While you’re waiting, go ahead and sauté the diced red onion in 2 tablespoons of olive oil for two minutes on medium heat in a large pan. Add in your sliced mushrooms and remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Continue to sauté for another 2 minutes, making sure to stir the onions and mushrooms. Remove from heat.
- Add your rotini to the boiling water and cook for 7-8 minutes. It will still be a bit firm but will soften just the right amount while baking in the oven. Drain pasta into strainer, shake to remove excess water.
- Place your pasta back into the large pot and toss with the sautéd onion, mushroom and chicken. Stir in your marinara and 1/2 cup of the shredded parmesan.
- Pour into 8×8 square baking dish or casserole dish.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup of shredded parmesan over top and tear provolone into pieces, and place evenly on top.
- Bake covered with foil for 15 minutes, then uncovered for another 15-20 minutes.
- Serve with fresh parsley, enjoy!! Cover leftovers and refrigerate.
Keywords: pasta, scd, specificcarbohydratediet, grainfree, glutenfree, easyrecipe, dinner, casserole