Easy SCD Pasta Bake
This SCD Pasta Bake is an absolute cinch to make and a real crowd pleaser! Lentil pasta makes this recipe a healthy choice and provides added protein if you’re looking for that nutritional boost.
So you may have already discovered the genius that is lentil pasta (1 ingredient!!), but my husband and I only recently got our hands on some and we can’t believe how delicious it is!!! For this recipe we used Tolerant Red Lentil Rotini. They also carry a green lentil variety and other pasta shapes, like macaroni and penne. And there is seriously only 1 ingredient–red lentils!! How they make this happen, I don’t know. But it’s organic and both my husband and I do beautifully with it, and we are SUPER DUPER sensitive-so it’s a win in our book!
We initially tried it out just plain without sauce to make sure our sensitive tummies could tolerate it- and once we had the green light, we knew a pasta bake would be the way to go! Something to enjoy the whole week through!🌟
This bake is extra cheesy and hearty with chicken, mushrooms and red onion with sauce. If you’re not a meat eater, sub in zucchini for the chicken–my husband also loves to mix it up with spinach and feta-also so delicious! Keep in mind though that feta is not technically SCD legal, but gorgonzola would work very well in it’s place.
-Lentil pasta tends to take a bit longer to cook through, about 7 to 8+ minutes in boiling water. However, it’s actually a good thing if your pasta is al dente at this point as it will have a chance to soften up a bit in the casserole during the baking process.
-We love using Rao’s Marinara Sauce it has zero additives and is housed in a glass jar. But if you’d rather make your own SCD sauce, we love using this marinara from our scd chicken parm recipe!
Enjoy The Recipe, Happy Baking!😊Print
Easy SCD Pasta Bake
- Total Time: about 45 min
- Yield: 6-8 servings 1x
- 1 red onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 eight oz package of mushrooms, sliced
- Rao’s Marinara (24 oz) or marinara from our scd chicken parm recipe
- 1 cup cooked chicken, cut into cubes or shredded
- 1 cup shredded parmesan, divided
- 3–4 slices of provolone cheese (optional)
- 1 box of Tolerant Red Lentil Rotini (for advanced SCD, see top of post for details).
- fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Bring a large pot of water to boil
- While you’re waiting, go ahead and sauté the diced red onion in 2 tablespoons of olive oil for two minutes on medium heat in a large pan. Add in your sliced mushrooms and remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Continue to sauté for another 2 minutes, making sure to stir the onions and mushrooms. Remove from heat.
- Add your rotini to the boiling water and cook for 7-8 minutes. It will still be a bit firm but will soften just the right amount while baking in the oven. Drain pasta into strainer, shake to remove excess water.
- Place your pasta back into the large pot and toss with the sautéd onion, mushroom and chicken. Stir in your marinara and 1/2 cup of the shredded parmesan.
- Pour into 8×8 square baking dish or casserole dish.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup of shredded parmesan over top and tear provolone into pieces, and place evenly on top.
- Bake covered with foil for 15 minutes, then uncovered for another 15-20 minutes.
- Serve with fresh parsley, enjoy!! Cover leftovers and refrigerate.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
Keywords: pasta, scd, specificcarbohydratediet, grainfree, glutenfree, easyrecipe, dinner, casserole
Gonna have to try that red lentil pasta! The whole dish looks amazing Catherine! xo
Thank you so very much, Kim!! We have been stocking up on the lentil pasta now, it really is so great, can’t wait for you to try it! 😀
Definitely going to have to try this recipe! Looks incredibly delicious and filled with so much protein! Love it, my type of meal…yummy!
Aw thank you so much dear Natalie!! It really does have a ton of healthy protein! I hope you love it! 😀
What a winner! We LOVE lentil pasta so this is such a great recipe to incorporate that into 🙂 I love combining mushrooms and red onion in there too! So yummy…can’t wait to bake!
Thank you so much dear Noelle! I just can’t believe how good lentil pasta is, what a treat!! 😀
Wow! The pasta bake looks so delicious.
Thank you so much, Hannah! 😀