- 1 red onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 eight oz package of mushrooms, sliced
- Rao’s Marinara (24 oz) or marinara from our scd chicken parm recipe
- 1 cup cooked chicken, cut into cubes or shredded
- 1 cup shredded parmesan, divided
- 3–4 slices of provolone cheese (optional)
- 1 box of Tolerant Red Lentil Rotini
- fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Bring a large pot of water to boil
- While you’re waiting, go ahead and sauté the diced red onion in 2 tablespoons of olive oil for two minutes on medium heat in a large pan. Add in your sliced mushrooms and remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Continue to sauté for another 2 minutes, making sure to stir the onions and mushrooms. Remove from heat.
- Add your rotini to the boiling water and cook for 7-8 minutes. It will still be a bit firm but will soften just the right amount while baking in the oven. Drain pasta into strainer, shake to remove excess water.
- Place your pasta back into the large pot and toss with the sautéd onion, mushroom and chicken. Stir in your marinara and 1/2 cup of the shredded parmesan.
- Pour into 8×8 square baking dish or casserole dish.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup of shredded parmesan over top and tear provolone into pieces, and place evenly on top.
- Bake covered with foil for 15 minutes, then uncovered for another 15-20 minutes.
- Serve with fresh parsley, enjoy!! Cover leftovers and refrigerate.
Keywords: pasta, scd, specificcarbohydratediet, grainfree, glutenfree, easyrecipe, dinner, casserole