Grain-Free, Gluten-Free, SCD
Happy Friday! 🎃🎃🎃
Sooooo, this delicious pumpkin loaf has been our breakfast all week long and we are LOVING it. I always need a little incentive to get out of bed in the mornings and this definitely does the trick!
Something you might not know about us is that we are NOT morning people. There is usually only silence + coffee here in the early AM hours and that is all. Verbal communication takes a full two hours to come into effect.😂 The point is, if you’re like me, sometimes you need a special little treat to be your alarm clock– and I can almost guarantee this pumpkin bread will brighten the early hours of your day.
I just have to talk about the taste for a second–this bread is incredibly moist, full of pumpkin and spice–coupled with the sweetness + tanginess from the “cream cheese” frosting. It really is impossible to detect that it’s grain-free. And did we mention this recipe works beautifully for muffins/cupcakes as well! And if you love this recipe, you should try our SCD Banana Bread!
Tips For Today:
-We use this 1 pound loaf pan, it’s just the right size. Alternatively, these make fabulous muffins and yield 12.
-There are a few different options for this bread, you can absolutely use your own cooked pumpkin or butternut squash as long as they’re properly drained.
-If you do use canned pumpkin, Trader Joe’s version is BPA-free and additive-free.
-We used Friendship Farmer Cheese, they usually carry it at Whole Foods. Or alternatively, you can make your own dry curd cottage cheese.
-Using a food processor for the frosting is important as the dry curd cottage cheese needs to be smoothed. If you don’t have a food processor, I think an immersion blender could work or something like a Magic Bullet or blender.
Happy Baking + Enjoy The Recipe!😊 We’d love to hear your feedback, leave any questions or comments in the comment section below.
- 2 1/4 cups almond flour (Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1/2 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice (or equal measures of ground cinnamon, clove + ginger).
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup small raisins
- 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup pumpkin (Trader Joe’s is BPA-free with no additives). Or you can use cooked pumpkin, or butternut squash, just make sure they’re drained.
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon almond milk (or coconut milk, water will do in a pinch)
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- FOR THE FROSTING:
- 7 1/2 ounces Farmer Cheese (Dry Curd Cottage Cheese) We use Friendship brand or you can use homemade SCD cream cheese
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 tablespoons honey
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, spices and baking soda. Add raisins + walnuts, whisk again. Then add your eggs, pumpkin, honey, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, almond milk + vanilla extract. Combine until smooth. (Hand mixer on medium speed works well, you can also do it by hand).
- Pour batter into a parchment paper lined loaf pan or lined muffin tin. Bake at 350 degrees for about 45-55 minutes. Cover fully with aluminum foil at 25 minutes to prevent over-browning, this will also help steam the bread. Bread will be a little tender, but mostly firm. (Muffins take just about 30 minutes).
- Remove from oven and let cool COMPLETELY before removing from pan. This part is important as it will be firm for cutting only when cooled. (But you can sneak a pinch if you must )
- FOR THE ICING:
- In a food processor (or blender), cream together your soft butter and Farmer Cheese. Add in honey + vanilla extract and blend again. Place frosting in freezer for 10 minutes to firm up. (The butter will cool, which thickens the frosting).
- Remove your frosting from the freezer and blend again in food processor until smooth. Spread over cooled pumpkin bread or muffins and enjoy! Store leftovers in air tight container and refrigerate.
Keywords: grainfree, glutenfree, scd, specificcarbohydratediet, breakfast, pumpkinbread, fallrecipe