Grain-Free, Gluten-Free 💚
Happy Weekend, Friends!
I can’t even express to you how delicious these baked cheddar + olive balls are! All I can say is that there is a lot of salty-cheesy-goodness going on here. But even that doesn’t do them justice! They are difficult to categorize—because at first they seem like a sophisticated appetizer to be savored with a martini, and yet at the same time they have that guilty-pleasure quality, of say- a plate of gooey cheese fries.
It’s perfect really, because they can suit any occasion, you can totally dress them up or down. Cocktail party or Super Bowl! (And yes, sadly we are already thinking of the super bowl, I am married to the world’s greatest football fan—but I wouldn’t have it any other way).💘
And great news, you can make these ahead of time—-we love to make two batches + pop them in the freezer. That way you’re all set for company and you can serve them fresh out of the oven.
Tips For Today:
-As always, reading the recipe + instructions once through before baking will allow you to fully enjoy the process without the stress.
-Be sure to drain your olives well, you’ll want them mostly dry before covering them with dough.
-One batch yields 26, you’ll need less dough than you might think for each olive, I was surprised how far a little dough can go! 🙂
-Do make sure to chill your dough covered olives after they are formed prior to baking, as this will help their shape and texture.
-Love savory appetizers? Check out our grain-free Gruyere Crackers!
Happy Baking + Enjoy The Recipe!😊 We’d love to hear your feedback, leave any questions or comments in the comment section below.
- 2/3 cup + 1 tbsp almond flour (Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp tapioca starch
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg white (no yolk)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, tapioca starch, paprika + salt. Add shredded cheese and stir until evenly incorporated into the flour mix.
- Add melted butter and egg white. Combine until dough forms. Dough will be sticky. Shape dough into a ball and set aside.
- Drain your olives well in a small colander. Spread olives onto a paper towel and pat dry. Then place a piece of parchment paper onto a baking sheet.
- Take a pinch of dough and place an olive towards the center, using your fingers to shape the dough around it, covering the olive completely. Roll into a ball using the palms of your hands. Place ball onto parchment paper. Repeat until you have all 26 completed. Then chill your formed olive balls for 5 minutes in the freezer (or 10 minutes in the fridge) prior to baking.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 20-25 minutes. Balls will be firm to touch and golden. Let them cool 5 minutes before plating and serving. Enjoy!
Keywords: grainfree, glutenfree, cheddar, olive, pastry, appetizer, cocktails
This post may contain affiliate links, that means that I may receive a small commission if you make a purchase using these links. Income allows us to purchase products to test the recipes you see here! Thank you for your support.