Cheesy Breadsticks are always on the top of our go-to grain-free appetizer list– I mean, what’s not to love, especially when there’s an easy vegan option!
| Cheesy Bread Sticks (Grain-Free, Vegan Option) | Hi Friends! We wanted to add one more grain-free snack to your menu so you’ll be all stocked up for game time come February 2nd– and Cheesy Breadsticks just seemed like the natural choice! This yummy bread takes under 30 minutes to create from start to finish, has a delicious vegan option and good heavens is it delicious.
The crust is chewy on the inside and crisp around the edges and I don’t have to tell you about the cheese. You can use a marinara sauce, garlic oil, ranch or your favorite dressing for a delicious side. It’s fun to offer more than one to let your guests choose–as long as there is no double dipping!!😂
We have an instructional photo in the directions below to give some guidance, but really all you’ll need here are the ingredients, parchment paper, a pizza roller and a good appetite!
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup tapioca starch (seems like a lot, but works beautifully for that breadstick texture!)
- 1/2 teaspoon guar gum (xanthan gum will do)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons milk (for vegan, use plain soy, coconut or almond milk).
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or grapeseed oil.
- additional oil to brush the dough with.
- egg wash (1 yolk stirred with 1 tbsp milk). For vegans, brush the edges very lightly with full fat coconut milk or your favorite vegan “egg” wash alternative.
- 1 + 1/4 cups shredded Italian blend cheese (Daiya Mozzarella for vegan)
- *your favorite marinara sauce for dipping and and peperocino flakes if you like a spicy kick.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Place a piece of parchment paper onto a cookie sheet.
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, tapioca starch, guar gum, baking soda and salt until evenly combined.
- Add milk, oil and apple cider vinegar. Use your hand to bring the wet ingredients into the dry–dough will start to form. The dough will be very sticky. Scrape the dough from your hands, then take a moment to wash your hands of any excess dough.
- After you’ve washed your hands, return to your dough and shape it into a ball. Set your ball of dough into the middle of the parchment lined baking sheet.
- You’re going to shape the dough into a flattened square/rectangular shape. Get your hands wet by running them under some water (this keeps the dough from sticking to you-and makes it easier to smooth out as well.) Use image below as a guide. It does not need to be perfectly even. It’s about 8-9 inches length-wise and 7 or so in height.
- Once your dough is shaped, lightly brush the entire surface with olive oil. (Or grapeseed oil). Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 12-14 minutes.
- Remove from heat and place baking sheet on a safe surface. Go ahead and set your oven to broil. While you’re waiting for the heat to rise, lightly brush the egg wash on the outer edges of the bread. Sprinkle cheese over top, leaving those outer edges mostly bare.
- Return to the oven and broil for 3-4 minutes until the cheese is bubbling and browning a bit in spots. Keep a close watch as the super high temperature cooks that cheese in a flash.
- Remove from oven, let cool for 2 to 3 minutes, then use a knife or pizza roller and cut 6 long strips and then cut those strips in half. Serve with marina and enjoy!
Keywords: bredasticks, cheese, pizza, grainfree, vegan, dairyfree, glutenfree, football, snacks
This post may contain affiliate links, that means that I may receive a small commission if you make a purchase using these links. Income allows us to purchase products to test the recipes you see here! Thank you for your support.