English Muffins (Grain-Free + Vegan)
I’m genuinely excited about today’s recipe–I mean it doesn’t get much better than toasty, chewy English Muffins slathered with butter and jam, right?? Or maybe you prefer a thick layer of vegan cream cheese topped with fresh fruit–or one of our all-time favorites, English Muffin Mini Pizzas! Now those are the very best.
However you slice it (terrible pun intended), you end up with a delicious sweet or savory treat. And a treat you don’t have to feel guilty about because it’s both vegan and grain-free!
We have some helpful tips for you today below.
-If you have a sensitivity to guar gum, there are two alternatives that work just as beautifully:
1.Omit guar gum and use 1/8 tsp of Agar Powder instead.
2.Omit guar gum and use instead chia seeds. In this case you will put 2 Tbsp of chia seeds in a small bowl and add 5 Tbsp of warm water, let them sit out on the counter for 10 minutes. While your waiting for the chia seeds and water to thicken, mix all of the other ingredients together in a large bowl. Then blend thickened chia seeds into to batter until evenly combined and continue with original instructions.
-You can find the 6 well mini cake pan here. Alternatively, you can use these muffin rings (although it’s a bit trickier). Just make sure to grease them first and set them on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. (Also, don’t fill them to the top).
-Make sure to grease your pan before spooning in the bread batter.
-You’ll know when they are ready as they will become springy to the touch. I find they vary in color from bake to bake–sometimes lighter in color and sometimes a bit golden.
-Wait until they are completely cooled before slicing them in half. If you are dying to try it fresh out of the oven, go ahead an eat one, but save the slicing for later. They are far easier to cut through when they are cooled. (It’s a guar gum thing).😋
-After cooled and sliced, pop them in a toaster or conventional oven until golden brown around the edges. Load it up with your favorite spreads and enjoy!
-And if you love our English Muffins, take a look at our delicious boil + bake grain-free bagel recipe!
Enjoy the recipe and Happy Baking!❤️
- 3 cups almond flour
- 1 1/4 cups potato starch (not potato flour) or 1 cup tapioca starch
- 1/2 teaspoon guar gum (Bob’s Red Mill) (chia seed option in post above)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (Hain brand is grain-free)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 2/3 cups unsweetened almond milk (or regular milk if preferred)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, potato starch, guar gum, baking powder and baking soda.
- Add almond milk, apple cider vinegar, olive oil and stir until combined well. Let batter sit for 3 minutes, it will thicken slightly.
- Grease your 6 well mini cake pan (link to pan in blog post).
- Spoon batter into wells, a little over half way full.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes. Start looking in at 15 minutes, edges will start to become golden. They will be springy to the touch.
- Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes. Then run knife around muffins. Flip pan over gently onto cooling rack to release muffins.
- Let them cool COMPLETELY before slicing them in half.
- Slice cooled English muffins in half (horizontally) and toast until golden and crisp. Spread with butter, jam or Kite Hill vegan cream cheese. Store leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
Keywords: vegan, grainfree, glutenfree, dairyfree, english muffins, bread, breakfast, toast