Dive into a delectable dish of Keto Eggnog Mousse! This sugar-free creation is so smooth, dreamy and lovely for the holidays– or any winter occasion!
Hi there friends! Whew, are we ever ready to settle into a quiet Sunday evening… is it just us, or has this week been thoroughly bonkers? As good as melting into the couch sounds right about now, I just couldn’t wait to get this delicious Keto Eggnog Mousse recipe out to you. If you’re a mousse lover, this is going to knock your socks off!
This mousse was great fun to test, we went 6 rounds with it until we got the taste and texture just right. It’s lovely with bourbon, dark rum or even rum extract with additional vanilla can work beautifully, it all depends on your personal taste. Keep reading below for the ingredients + tools you’ll need, and we have our brand new Keto Mousse method featured below as well. If you’re familiar with our chocolate and lemon meringue pies, you’ll recognize the process, it just has one new spin to it. Alright, enough chatter from me, let’s get cooking!
What You Need For This Recipe:
- Medium cooking pot for the stove
- 2 large mixing bowls and one small bowl. (If you just have 1 large bowl available, it can be washed, dried and reused for the next part of the recipe).
- 1 whisk
- A sieve or sifter
- An electric hand mixer
- Rubber Spatula if you have one on hand
- 4 small dessert dishes or glasses (this makes 4 medium servings or 3 larger servings.
- 2 cups of heavy cream total (it will be divided in to 3/4 cup + 1/4 cup + 1 cup)
- 1/3 cup Swerve Confectioner Sugar Replacement
- 1 + 3/4 teaspoons Gelatin (Knox or Now Foods brand are both great)
- 3 egg yolks (yolks only)
- 2 tablespoons Bourbon or Dark Rum (Rum Extract also works well, see recipe below)
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla extract (more if you’re using rum extract)
- Ground nutmeg + cinnamon, additional to sprinkle on top
- Pinch of salt
- Can be garnished with a cinnamon stick or with shavings of sugar-free chocolate, or a sugar-free candy cane are fun too– these candy canes have net zero carbs.
Our Keto Mousse Method:
*As mentioned above, this method is similar to our process that we use in both our Low-Carb Chocolate Cream Pie and Low-Carb Lemon Meringue Pie, with one new spin. It might seem a touch unconventional at first, but it makes for that dreamy mousse texture! These are the very best made the day of, but can be made the night before and stored in the fridge with plastic wrap.
- First, we whisk together the dry ingredients (Swerve, gelatin + salt) in a dry bowl (whisk needs to be dry as well) so the gelatin is distributed evenly without any clumping.
- Next, we whisk in just 3/4 cup of the heavy cream until smooth.
- Here is where we depart from our usual method–In a separate, small bowl, we add our yolks (yolks only, no egg white) and whisk in 1/4 cup of heavy cream along with 1 tablespoon of vanilla. We set that aside while we get going on the stove.
- In a pot, we add the Swerve/heavy cream mixture and place it over medium heat, whisking until it comes to a full boil. You must whisk the entire time so the cream stays smooth and doesn’t burn.
- Once it’s to a full boil, we take it off the heat and let it cool just 4 minutes while continuing to whisk.
- At the 4 minute mark, we whisk in the egg yolk mixture until smooth. (The liquid will be very loose at this point, it will thicken in the freezer later). Add in bourbon or rum extract and mix again.
- Place in freezer to thicken for 35 minutes.
- While you wait, whip up the remaining heavy cream (with nutmeg + cinnamon) until stiff and place in fridge.
- When the egg cream mix is fully set and chilled, we blend it briefly with an electric hand mixer until smooth and fold in and blend in the whipped cream. It’s thicker at this point, however, it needs to further set in the fridge for 3 hours. Spoon it into the dessert dishes and transfer them to the fridge to set. We serve them later that evening.
- Finally, before serving, garnish with extra nutmeg and cinnamon, and a cinnamon stick looks lovely if you have one on hand. And that’s it! Se the recipe below for further details.
If you love this Keto Eggnog Mousse, you might also love our Keto Gingerbread Bars!
Happy Mousse Making!Print
*2.8 carbs per serving, Swerve has zero net carbs, nutrition info below recipe.
**See post above for details on what you need for this recipe and our Keto Mousse Method.
- 1/3 cup Swerve Confectioner Sugar Replacement
- 1 + 3/4 teaspoons gelatin (a touch under 2 teaspoons if you don’t have fractioned teaspoons available)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups heavy cream altogether, it will be divided in the recipe (no dairy-free option)
- 3 egg yolks (yolks only)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons bourbon or dark rum (or 1/2 tablespoon rum extract + 1 additional tablespoon vanilla extract)
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- cinnamon stick for garnish (optional)
- Get your ingredients and tools ready. Have your pot out by the stove, both a large and a small mixing bowl on the counter, measuring cups + spoons, also a whisk and a sieve, and finally your hand mixer.
- In a large, dry mixing bowl, sift in your Swerve Confectioner Sugar Replacement, gelatin and salt. Whisk until evenly combined. (It’s important that your bowl, sieve and whisk are dry, this ensures the gelatin won’t clump together–you want it distributed evenly throughout).
- Get just 3/4 cup of the heavy cream ready and slowly whisk it into the Swerve/gelatin mix until smooth, set aside.
- Separate 3 eggs, we’ll only be using the yolks for this recipe. Put your egg yolks into a small bowl. You can refrigerate the whites if you plan on using them later. Make sure the yolks are fully separated from the whites, this will ensure a smooth mousse.
- Whisk 1/4 cup of heavy cream into the yolks along with 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract, set aside for a moment.
- Pour the ingredients from your large bowl (Swerve/gelatin/salt, heavy cream mix) into your pot and cook over medium heat while whisking until it boils. This mixture will seem a bit thick, initially, but will thin + smooth out as you whisk it over the heat. It will take just about 3-5 minutes to reach a boil, some burners may take a touch longer.
- Turn off the heat and let it cool down for just 4 minutes. Keep whisking intermittently. At the 4 minute mark, whisk in your egg yolk/cream/vanilla mixture until smooth. Now add your bourbon or rum extract. Do not add more than is called for in the recipe– the gelatin to liquid ratio will allow the mousse to thicken just right as is. The mixture will be thin at this point, but will thicken while chilling.
- Place your pot in the freezer for 35 minutes to thicken. (If you don’t have room in the freezer to fit the entire pot, you can pour it into a dry bowl. It may take a touch longer to set this way).
- While you’re waiting for it to chill, place the remaining 1 cup of heavy cream into a large bowl. Sprinkle nutmeg and cinnamon over top. Blend with your hand mixer on high speed until the whipped cream is stiff. Place whipped cream into fridge until the freezer mix has set up. (You’ll need the hand mixer one more time).
- At the 35 minute mark, pull the chilled mix from the freezer and blend on medium speed for about 10 seconds until smooth. Fold in your whipped cream from the fridge and blend again, this time on high speed until smooth. Mixture will be somewhat thick at this point, and will further set in the fridge.
- Spoon mixture into your small dessert dishes (or cups) and refrigerate for 3+ hours before serving. You will need the full 3 hours for them to set.
- Serve with additional cinnamon or nutmeg sprinkled over top and garnish with a cinnamon stick or a piece of sugar-free chocolate or a sugar free candy cane. Enjoy! It’s the very best served day of, but can be made the night before and refrigerated overnight, just place plastic wrap lightly on top, making sure it touches the mousse so it won’t form a skin.
- Category: Low-Carb
- Method: cooking
- Cuisine: mousse
Keywords: grainfree, glutenfree, lowcarb, keto, mousse, eggnog, bourbon, rum, Christmas, holiday desserts, easy recipes