This swoonworthy Grain-Free Cherry Pie is a hit every time, so good we have it for breakfast + dessert!
Grain-free, Dairy-Free, Paleo, Vegan 🍒
Good Evening Friends!
We’re so glad to be back creating recipes, we’ve missed you! And we’ve got a real treat for you tonight–an old fashioned flaky, double crusted grain-free cherry pie!
Cherry pie has always been one of our favorites. I mean seriously, what could be better than a luscious, sweetly tart filling nestled inside of a buttery, salted crust? It even gives chocolate a run for it’s money! We just couldn’t resist making our own version.
A lot of love went into this recipe, we created a brand new crust that is so buttery and flakey, you’ll think it came straight from your grandmother’s kitchen. And it will work beautifully with any pie of your choosing, sweet or savory!
Tips For Today:
-Here are the ingredients for our Vegan Crust, sub them in the cherry pie recipe at the bottom of this post and follow directions using these crust ingredients.
- 2 2/3 cups almond flour
- 1 cup + 1 tbsp tapioca starch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup earth Balance Spread, chilled
- 1/4 cup + 1tbsp cold water
-For step by step photos on how to construct your pie, check out our apple pie recipe here.
-We used a 9 inch pie pan for this recipe.
-Make sure your package of frozen cherries are defrosted before creating your filling.
-Rolling out your dough in between two pieces of parchment paper keeps your dough from sticking to the rolling pin.
-To create heart cutouts, we rolled out our top layer as instructed and used a small heart cookie cutter. Make sure not to cut the hearts out too close together, or the dough will crack. Or you can just opt to create the traditional vents with a knife, which also looks lovely.
Enjoy The Recipe + Happy Baking! 😊
If you love this pie, you’ll also enjoy our Paleo Pecan Pie! Happy Baking!
- 3 cups almond flour (Bob’s Red Mill) (Vegan pie crust ingredients in post above in “Tips” section)
- 1 1/4 cups tapioca starch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed (Or Earth Balance Spread)
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1 egg
- FOR THE FILLING:
- 32 ounces package frozen cherries (defrosted)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2/3 cup sugar (or coconut sugar for paleo)
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1/2 teaspoon guar gum (or 1/2 teaspoon gelatin for paleo, agar powder for vegan)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- First you’ll want to mix together your filling ingredients. Cut open your defrosted package of frozen cherries and pour contents (including juice) into a large bowl. Stir in lemon juice. In a separate bowl, whisk together your sugar, 1/3 cup of tapioca starch and guar gum until evenly combined).
- Pour your sugar mixture over the cherries and stir + toss well– making sure all of your cherries are coated and the sugar blend isn’t collecting at the bottom of the bowl, but rather incorporated evenly. Set filling aside.
- THE CRUST:
- In a large bowl, whisk together your almond flour, tapioca starch and salt. With a pastry cutter, cut your chilled butter into the flour blend. Make sure butter pieces are no larger than pea-size.
- Add egg and water into flour/butter mixture and slowly work into dough. (I prefer to use my hands, but a food processor works as well). Dough will be sticky, let it rest for 5 minutes and wash hands. (Dough will be pliable and have a similar texture to play-doh).
- Press half of the dough into a 9 inch pie pan and work dough up the sides and around the edges. You may find it easier to work with the dough if you dip your fingers into water first. I keep a small cup by my working station. (Alternatively, you can roll the dough in-between two pieces of parchment paper, remove top layer and turn over onto pie pan and make any necessary adjustments). **See tips section above for link to instructional photos.
- Stir your cherry filling once more and pour into prepared pie pan.
- Roll out the remaining half of the dough in between two pieces of parchment paper. (And not too thin, you want a little thickness for the top layer, it will be easier to work with).
- Peel off top layer of parchment paper. Swiftly and carefully turn rolled dough onto pie. Peel back the paper and trim excess. It’s ok if there are cracks, they can be fixed by dipping your fingers into water and mending. (Check tips section above on how to create heart cutouts if desired).
- Make a few vent holes and apply an egg wash if desired. Sprinkle the top with coarse sugar, flute edges and carefully place pie into oven at 350 degrees for 60 minutes (my oven takes closer to 60 minutes, but start checking in at 40 minutes). I like to place aluminum foil or a pie crust shield around the edges at this point to avoid outer edge burning.
- Let your pie cool completely and chill a bit before serving as the filling will set during the cooling process. Enjoy!!
Keywords: grainfree, glutenfree, dairyfree, cherrypie, pie, pastry, dessert, summer