Grain-Free + Gluten-Free 💚
It only occurred to me fairly recently that scones could be savory. How I missed out on this fact for so long, I’ll never know. But I’m definitely making up for it now! 😉 I like having a savory option at teatime– and it also makes such a lovely brunch side. And this scone can also stand alone because of it’s satisfying combination of flavors. I would say that the sharp white cheddar is the star and the jalapeño gives it just the right amount of kick. Let’s head to the recipe!
- 1 + 1/2 cups almond flour
- 3/4 cup potato starch (not potato flour)
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (grain-free, I use Hain baking powder)
- 1 teaspoon guar gum (I use Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 jalapeno, diced + seeded
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoons butter, cubed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Whisk together almond flour, potato starch, baking powder, guar gum and salt.
- Cube butter then cut into dry mix with pastry cutter.
- Dice jalapeño and remove seeds.
- Shred cheese with grater.
- Add cheese and jalapeño to dry mix and stir until evenly distributed.
- Make a well in the center of the mix and add egg and half and half into well. Using your hands or fork, slowly bring dry mix into wet mix. Work together until dough has formed. Dough will be sticky.
- Shape dough into wheel and place on parchment paper lined baking sheet. Quarter or cut into eighths, depending on desired serving size.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until golden and scones are firm to pressing. You may see a little butter escape from the bottom of the scone while baking, it is to be expected.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and serve. May be frozen up to 4 weeks.
Keywords: grainfree, glutenfree, cheddar, scones, breakfast, snack, jalapeno
This post may contain affiliate links, that means that I may receive a small commission if you make a purchase using these links. Income allows us to purchase products to test the recipes you see here! Thank you for your support.