- 3 cups almond flour (Bob’s Red Mill) (Vegan pie crust ingredients in post above in “Tips” section)
- 1 1/4 cups tapioca starch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed (Or Earth Balance Spread)
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1 egg
- FOR THE FILLING:
- 32 ounces package frozen cherries (defrosted, don’t discard liquid)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2/3 cup sugar (or coconut sugar for paleo)
- 2.5 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 1.5 teaspoons gelatin for paleo (or 1/2 tsp agar powder for vegan)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- First you’ll want to mix together your filling ingredients. Cut open your defrosted package of frozen cherries and pour contents (including juice) into a large bowl. Stir in lemon juice. In a separate bowl, whisk together your sugar, tapioca starch and gelatin until evenly combined).
- Pour your sugar mixture over the cherries and stir + toss well– making sure all of your cherries are coated and the sugar blend isn’t collecting at the bottom of the bowl, but rather incorporated evenly. Set filling aside.
- THE CRUST:
- In a large bowl, whisk together your almond flour, tapioca starch and salt. With a pastry cutter, cut your chilled butter into the flour blend. Make sure butter pieces are no larger than pea-size.
- Add egg and water into flour/butter mixture and slowly work into dough. (I prefer to use my hands, but a food processor works as well). Dough will be sticky, let it rest for 5 minutes and wash hands. (Dough will be pliable and have a similar texture to play-doh).
- Press half of the dough into a 9 inch pie pan and work dough up the sides and around the edges. You may find it easier to work with the dough if you dip your fingers into water first. I keep a small cup by my working station. (Alternatively, you can roll the dough in-between two pieces of parchment paper, remove top layer and turn over onto pie pan and make any necessary adjustments). **See tips section above for link to instructional photos.
- Stir your cherry filling once more and pour into prepared pie pan.
- Roll out the remaining half of the dough in between two pieces of parchment paper. (And not too thin, you want a little thickness for the top layer, it will be easier to work with).
- Peel off top layer of parchment paper. Swiftly and carefully turn rolled dough onto pie. Peel back the paper and trim excess. It’s ok if there are cracks, they can be fixed by dipping your fingers into water and mending. (Check tips section above on how to create heart cutouts if desired).
- Make a few vent holes and apply an egg wash if desired. Sprinkle the top with coarse sugar, flute edges and carefully place pie into oven at 350 degrees for 60 minutes (my oven takes closer to 60 minutes, but start checking in at 40 minutes). I like to place aluminum foil or a pie crust shield around the edges at this point to avoid outer edge burning.
- Let your pie cool completely and chill a bit before serving as the filling will set during the cooling process. Enjoy!!
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 50-60 min
Keywords: grainfree, glutenfree, dairyfree, cherrypie, pie, pastry, dessert, summer