7.3 net carbs per serving, nutrition facts below recipe
- 2 large chicken breasts (skinless + boneless)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups broccoli florets (lightly cooked or blanched)
- 3 cups bread crumbs (we have paleo + low carb versions, see tips section in post above for links)
- 2 cups shredded cheese (we use a blend of cheddar + parmesan) dairy-free can use “Daiya” brand. See tips section in post above for Paleo version.
- 1/2 cup melted butter (or ghee), divided
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk or half + half for less carbs (plain almond milk or coconut milk for dairy-free)
- 2.5 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- Chicken: Place your chicken breasts in an 8×8 baking dish (or something similar). Brush the tops of your chicken breasts with olive oil and then sprinkle the lemon pepper over top. Place into the oven uncovered for about 30 minutes or until just cooked through.
- Remove chicken from oven, place onto clean cutting board and slice into bite size pieces. Set aside.
- Broccoli: Blanch or lightly steam broccoli florets, set aside.
- Topping: In a large bowl, add your bread crumbs, shredded cheese and 1/4 cup of your melted butter. Toss until evenly incorporated. Set aside.
- Sauce: In a medium to large pot, add your milk and 1/4 cup of melted butter. Turn your burner on low heat and warm the milk + butter while stirring until they are well combined. In a separate, small dish, add your tapioca starch. Take 1/2 cup of your warm milk/butter liquid and slowly whisk it into your tapioca starch. (The tapioca starch will act like corn starch + thicken the sauce). Add your tapioca/milk blend into the pot and stir until incorporated well.
- Whisk vigorously and raise the temperature to medium heat. It is important for you to continue to whisk the liquid so it stays smooth and the tapioca starch does not clump. It will start to thicken in a minute or two. Once it reaches a full boil, remove it from the heat and add your salt, pepper + paprika. Add more to taste if desired.
- Putting Casserole Together: Press half of your bread crumbs on the bottom of your casserole dish. Add your chicken + broccoli, then pour your white sauce over top. Finally, sprinkle the remaining bread crumbs evenly on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes until golden brown and bubbling around the edges. (For low-carb + paleo version, cover for the first 20 minutes with foil, then uncovered 15). Serve hot and store leftovers in covered dish or airtight container + refrigerate. Enjoy!
Keywords: grainfree, glutenfree, paleo, lowcarb, casserole, chicken, dinner, recipe