- 1 pound fresh crabmeat (preferably lump)
- 1 cup SCD Bread Crumbs (or use our paleo no bread crumb “quick flour mix” version, see below)
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (Lea and Perrin’s Original is Gluten-Free). Eliminate for SCD version.
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning (+ more for dusting)
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon butter (or vegan butter, ghee or just olive oil work as well).
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
*Quick Flour Mix: Use in place of bread crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk together 1/3 cup almond flour, 1.5 tbsp of tapioca starch, 2 tsp of Italian seasoning and a tiny pinch of salt. Use this mixture in the recipe in place of the bread crumbs. (It may seem like a small amount of flour compared to the bread crumbs, but it will bind them beautifully).
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Rinse and drain crabmeat. Dry with paper towel to absorb excess water. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, thoroughly combine mayo, mustard, egg, Worcerstershire, Tobasco and lemon juice. Add in Old Bay seasoning and fresh parsley and mix again.
- Pour crabmeat into egg/mayo/spice mixture and combine thoroughly.
- Add bread crumbs (or our quick flour mix-see post above for ingredients) and combine well.
- Line a baking sheet tray with parchment paper. Shape crab cakes and place onto parchment paper. Refrigerate for 1/2 hour.
- In a small dish, combine pepper, Italian seasoning and a pinch of Old Bay seasoning. Sprinkle this mixture lightly over the tops of the crab cakes. Carefully turn them over and sprinkle the other side as well. This will make for a flavorful crust.
- Heat a large pan with your butter and olive oil on medium heat. When butter becomes frothy, lower crab cakes into pan carefully by spatula to brown on both sides, about 2 minutes each side. (Golden in color).
- After they have been been lightly browned, transfer cakes back to parchment paper lined baking sheet and place in the oven at 400 degrees to cook through–about 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and transfer to plate with spatula. Serve with lemon wedges and sauces. (Tartar, Cocktail or Louis sauce are our favorites). Crab cakes can be prepped and stored in the fridge the morning of and cooked later in the afternoon/evening. Enjoy!!!
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
Keywords: grainfree, glutenfree, paleo, lowcarb, scd, specificcarbohydratediet, crabcakes, dinner, maryland