- 2 1/4 cups almond flour (Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice (or 1 tsp each of ground cinnamon, ginger + cloves)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted (or ghee)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons prune juice (no additives)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- FROSTING: (See Tips in post above to use our SCD Farmer Cheese Frosting from our SCD Pumpkin Bread recipe if you prefer)
- 2/3 cup Spectrum Shortening or butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup egg white powder (Hoosier Hill Farms) or plain egg white protein powder will do.
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- natural food coloring-beet powder for pink and reds, spirulina powder for green. Watkins makes a great natural food coloring if tolerated.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, pumpkin pie spice and baking soda.
- Add honey, melted butter, prune juice + vanilla extract and work through by hand until dough starts to form. Dough will be a bit sticky, let dough rest for 5 minutes.
- Roll out dough between two sheets of parchment paper, the top layer of paper will keep it from sticking to the rolling pin. Cut cookies into desired shapes.
- Gently peel and lift cookie cutouts and transfer carefully to parchment lined baking sheet. (You can use a knife or offset spatula to lift the edges from the parchment paper to assist in lifting the cookies).
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes–they will still be soft but starting to brown a touch around the edges. Let them cool completely on the baking sheet–do not move them, they will firm up during the cooling process.
- Blend frosting ingredients together with hand mixer while you’re waiting for your cookies to cool. Chill frosting for 10 minutes in freezer, it will thicken. Blend frosting again and decorate as desired. Store leftovers in an airtight container. Enjoy!
Keywords: grainfree, glutenfree, scd, specificcarbohydratediet, sugarcookies, holiday, christmas, cookies