- 1.5 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp tapioca starch
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder (Droste for richer flavor + color)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (Hain brand is Grain-Free)
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup + 1 Tbsp milk
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Frosting (Or simply dust with powdered sugar)
- 1.5 cups powdered sugar (Wholesome brand is grain-free)
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons softened butter or Earth Balance
- 1 tablespoon milk or coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Spray your 1 quart glass container with Pam olive oil spray, or grease with butter or Earth Balance Spread. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, sugar, tapioca starch, cocoa powder and baking powder. Make sure all dry ingredients are incorporated evenly.
- Add egg, milk, olive oil and vanilla extract. Whisk again well until batter is smooth.
- Use a rubber spatula to guide batter into your glass container, it will fill just 1/2 of the way full.
- Place container into microwave for 4 minutes.
- With oven mitts, remove your cake from the microwave.
- Place it into the freezer to cool for 15-20 minutes. (Or simply dust with powdered sugar and serve warm if you prefer your cake frosting-free).
- While you’re waiting for your cake to cool, go ahead and make your frosting.
- This frosting can be made with just a whisk, but you can use a hand mixer if desired: In a large bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, cocoa powder and salt. Add softened butter, milk and vanilla. Stir until smooth. Add more milk to loosen the frosting, or more powdered sugar to thicken it.
- Spread frosting on cooled cake. We cut ours into 4th’s and give everyone a spoon to dig in. It can also be cut into 8th’s and served as small slices on a plate. This fun and messy microwave cake is meant to be eaten immediately after preparation. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 4 min
- Category: grain-free
- Method: microwave
- Cuisine: cake
Keywords: grainfree, glutenfree, dairyfree, chocolate, cake, birthday, valentines day, frosting, microwave