- 2 cups almond flour (Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1 cup tapioca starch
- 1/4 teaspoon guar gum
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg (For vegan option, check out our vegan bagel recipe).
- 1/3 cup milk or plain almond milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup Rao’s Homemade Pizza Sauce
- 3/4 cup shredded Mozzarella or Shredded dairy-free Daiya brand Mozzarella
- 1/4 cup pepperoni, minced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon parmigiano reggiano, grated (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and bring a large pot of water to boil.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, tapioca starch, guar gum, baking soda +baking powder.
- Add egg, milk, olive oil, apple cider vinegar into dry mix and combine by hand until dough forms. Dough will be very sticky and feel a bit loose at first. Scrape dough from hands and let dough sit for 5 minutes, it will thicken up a bit. Dough will feel a bit like thick play-doh.
- Cut dough into 9 equal pieces and roll each piece out and form into circle, working quickly so dough won’t dry out. See tips section above for link to instructional photos.
- Mend any cracks with a touch of water. Lower bagels into boiling water with slotted spoon or spatula. Cook in batches of three. Bagels will fall to the bottom of the pot and rise in about 45 seconds. Carefully flip each one over and allow them to cook for another 20-30 seconds. Carefully retrieve them with the slotted spoon and place on parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Brush with egg wash (egg yolk + milk or milk sub) if desired and bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes, some ovens might take a pinch longer. Keep in mind, that when bagels are hot, they have more give. It will become firmer in the center after cooling.
- Cool on wire rack completely before cutting in half. Then slice bagels in half, spread with marinara + desired toppings. Return to oven for 10-12 minutes at 350 degrees until cheese is bubbly with a bit of color. Serve hot! Store any leftovers in an airtight container, enjoy!
Keywords: grainfree, glutenfree, dairyfree, bagels, bagelbites, pizza, dinner, snack, superbowlsnacks