- 2 1/4 cups organic heavy whipping cream
- 20 ounces frozen cherries, thawed and drained. (Save juice)
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons cherry juice (from the frozen cherries)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeded (or an extra tsp of vanilla extract)
- 1/4 teaspoon guar gum (Bob’s Red Mill) (Can be omitted if necessary, see Tips in post above).
- 1/8 teaspoon cherry extract (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl, add 2 cups of heavy whipping cream. Sprinkle 1/4 tsp guar gum overtop evenly. Blend with hand mixer on high for about 2 minutes or until you see firm peaks form. Set bowl aside.
- Drain your thawed cherries, but save the cherry juice and set them aside.
- Then separate 4 eggs, keeping just the yolks for this recipe. Whisk yolks briskly for about a minute in a medium sized bowl and set them aside as well.
- In a medium size pot, add 1/3 cup of honey, 1/4 cup of heavy cream, vanilla extract, vanilla bean paste and salt. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Keep at a simmer while stirring for about a minute, then remove from heat. Now, you will temper the eggs–this means you will be slowly raising the temperature of the egg yolks without scrambling them. (Not as hard as it sounds, promise!)
- While whisking your egg yolks, add just a spoonful of the heated honey mixture and combine well. Then slowly start drizzling the hot mixture into the yolks, a little bit at a time while whisking briskly. Once it is all mixed in, leave it to cool COMPLETELY to room temperature.
- After your egg/honey mixture is completely cooled, slowly blend it into your whipped cream with a hand mixer. Then add 2 tbsp of your cherry juice and 1/8 tsp of cherry extract.
- Finally, blend in your cherries and pour mixture into a chilled 9x5x3 metal loaf pan. Cover and freeze for about 4.5-5 hours, it will still be a touch soft and easy to serve at this point. Freeze another few hours for it to become completely solid. Serve and enjoy!
Keywords: grainfree, glutenfree, nochurn, icecream, cherry, vanilla, dessert