- 4 large potatoes
- 1/3 cup softened cream cheese (Kite Hill for dairy-free/vegan cream cheese + sour cream).
- 1/3 cup sour cream (extra for topping)
- 3 tablespoons butter (Earth Balance for dairy-free/vegan)
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, more for topping. (Shredded Daiya Cheese for dairy-free/vegan)
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- salt + pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Wash then dry potatoes. Use a fork to pierce each potato so steam can escape. Bake them on a cookie sheet at 375 for 1 hour.
- Wait a few minutes after they’re out of the oven. Use two oven mitts so you don’t burn your hands–slice each potato lengthwise.
- Use a large bowl to mix your potatoes. Scoop out the insides of each half but make sure to leave enough shell so they don’t fall apart, you will need them sturdy enough to hold the filling.
- Add the butter to your potatoes before mashing–let it melt a bit. Then use a hand mixer (you can mash by hand if preferred) on medium speed to smooth potatoes. Add your softened cream cheese + sour cream and blend again, do not over-mix. Add cheese and again, combine. Finally stir in diced jalapeño. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the potato shells on the cookie sheet and fill up 7 of the halves (we always forgo one of them so the others have more filling). Place additional shredded cheese overtop.
- Return to oven for about 25 minutes. Serve hot with a dollop of sour cream and paprika. Enjoy!
*Potatoes vary in size, feel free to add more sour cream and cheese to taste, but make sure to start with the recipe’s measurements. You can always add more, but you can’t take it back out! 😉
Keywords: grainfree, dairyfree, glutenfree, twicebakedpotatoes, potatoes, appetizer, dinnerside, jalapeño