New + Improved Recipe! Check for changes below. There is now a vegan option and these taste like true Southern biscuits!
- 1 + 1/4 cups almond flour (Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1 cup +1 Tablespoon tapioca starch (no substitution)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (Hain brand is grain-free)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chilled butter, cubed (or Earth Balance Spread for vegan)
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon milk (vegan use plain almond milk, soy or coconut milk)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 additional tablespoons butter, melted for brushing over the top.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Take out two sheets of parchment paper along with a round 3-4 inch cookie cutter, set aside. (It’s ok if you don’t have a cookie cutter, you can shape them by hand).
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, tapioca starch, baking powder and baking soda.
- With a pastry cutter, cut 1/4 cup of butter into flour, leaving no pieces larger than pea size.
- Create a well in the center of your flour and add your milk and apple cider vinegar. Slowly work the liquid into the flour-it will be loose at first but start to thicken. Dough will be sticky. Scrape excess dough off of hands and let dough rest for 3 minutes to further thicken. Wash hands.
- Return to your dough, form it into a ball. Dust your biscuit dough with just a tiny touch of tapioca starch and place dough on parchment paper. Place your other sheet of parchment paper on a cookie sheet.
- Dip your cookie cutter into some tapioca starch. Flatten your dough out a bit with the palm of your hands and cut out two biscuits. They should be a few inches high. (You can choose to make them shorter if you prefer). Make sure to dust your cookie cutter with the tapioca again after you cut each one out. (You can form the biscuits by hand into whatever shape you desire if you’re without a cookie cutter).
- Place the cut out biscuits on the parchment lined cookie sheet. Repeat until you have 6-8 biscuits. Brush the tops of each one with melted butter.
- Bake biscuits at 350 degrees for about 15-20 minutes. Check in at 12 minutes.
- Let them cool 5 minutes and serve warm and enjoy! Store leftovers in an airtight container, reheat them in the oven at 375 degrees for 10 minutes for best taste and texture.
- Category: Vegan
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Bread
Keywords: grainfree, glutenfree, dairyfree, biscuits, breakfast, bread