Grain-Free, Gluten-Free, Vegan ❤️
Nothing beats warm, buttery, homemade biscuits fresh out of the oven. Add a pat of Irish butter and a healthy dollop of jam and you’ve got yourself a guaranteed winner!
We really put these biscuits to the test, making them over and over until we ended up with the buttery, flaky, deliciousness we were hoping for. And cut open, they make the perfect canvas for a spread of our grain-free sausage gravy. You can find that recipe here.
It’s excellent food for a hearty fall breakfast, whether you like them with a pat of butter and jam or smothered in savory gravy. It’s a hard choice to make!
Happy Baking + Enjoy The Recipe!😊Print
New + Improved Recipe! Check for changes below. There is now a vegan option and these taste like true Southern biscuits!
- 1 + 1/4 cups almond flour (Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1 cup +1 Tablespoon tapioca starch (no substitution)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (Hain brand is grain-free)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chilled butter, cubed (or Earth Balance Spread for vegan)
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon milk (vegan use plain almond milk, soy or coconut milk)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 additional tablespoons butter, melted for brushing over the top.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Take out two sheets of parchment paper (or wax paper) along with a round 3-4 inch cookie cutter, set aside. (It’s ok if you don’t have a cookie cutter, you can shape them by hand.
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, tapioca starch, baking powder and baking soda.
- With a pastry cutter, cut 1/4 cup of butter into flour, leaving no pieces larger than pea size.
- Create a well in the center of your flour and add your milk and apple cider vinegar. Slowly work the liquid into the flour-it will be loose at first but start to thicken. Dough will be sticky. Scrape excess dough off of hands and let dough rest for 3 minutes to further thicken. Wash hands.
- Return to your dough, form it into a ball. Dust your biscuit dough with just a tiny touch of tapioca starch and place dough on parchment paper. Place another sheet of parchment paper on a cookie sheet.
- Dip your cookie cutter in some tapioca starch. Flatten your dough out a bit with the palm of your hands and cut out two biscuits. They should be a few inches high. (You can choose to make them shorter if you prefer). Make sure to dust your cookie cutter with the tapioca again after you cut each one out. (You can form the biscuits by hand into whatever shape you desire if you’re without a cookie cutter).
- Place the cut out biscuits on the cookie sheet. Repeat until you have 6-8 biscuits. Brush the tops with melted butter.
- Bake biscuits at 350 degrees for about 15-20 minutes. Check in at 12 minutes.
- Let them cool 5 minutes and serve warm and enjoy! Store leftovers in an airtight container, reheat them in the oven at 375 degrees for 10 minutes for best taste and texture.
Keywords: grainfree, glutenfree, dairyfree, biscuits, breakfast, bread
This post may contain affiliate links, that means that I may receive a small commission if you make a purchase using these links. Income allows us to purchase products to test the recipes you see here! Thank you for your support.