4.4 net carbs per serving *See full nutritional profile below
- 1 cup almond flour (Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 2 teaspoons guar gum
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder (Hain brand is grain-free)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup chilled butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar
- 1.5 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon of half and half (or heavy cream)
- set aside 1.5 melted butter + pinch of salt (for bushing + sprinkling over top of scones during the bake, see instructions below)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, coconut flour, guar gum, baking powder and baking soda.
- Cut chilled butter into flour with a pastry cutter in the same manner you would for a pie crust.
- Add shredded cheese and chopped chives and whisk into flour/butter mixture evenly.
- Add egg, half + half, and mix them into flour by hand until dough forms. Dough will be sticky. Let your dough rest for just a couple of minutes minutes while washing hands from excess dough. (The dough will thicken a bit while resting).
- Form the dough into a disk. (See our jalapeño scone recipe for photo instructions of this process.)
- Place your dough disk onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Flatten it out just a bit and cut into 4ths for medium to large size scones or into 8ths for small scones.
- Place a full piece of foil very lightly over top of the scones and bake at 350 degrees for a total of 35-40 minutes. At the 20 minute mark, turn the baking sheet 180 degrees. 10 minutes later, remove the foil and brush the tops a bit with melted butter and a light sprinkling of salt. Bake uncovered another 5-10 minutes. The scones at this point should be firm on the exterior but a touch tender in the center, they will firm up during the cooling process. They will be golden on top, with a slight browning on the edges.
- Cool for 30 minutes and serve. Or cool completely, store in an airtight container in the fridge and toast lightly before serving. Serve with butter if desired. Enjoy!
Keywords: keto scones, low-carb, cheddar chive scones, gluten-free, grain-free, keto breakfast, savory, brunch